cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there any way to change or remove default firewall rules in Mac Livesafe?

Hi,

I just found out a problem I was having being able to ssh into my computer from a remote site is caused by the Mac McAfee Livesafe firewall. One of the default rules it lists is:

"Block remote incoming"

When I disable the firewall completely, I can login just fine, but when it's enabled, the connection just times out after a minute or so.

I've attached a screen shot of the window in question. As you may be able to tell, when I click on that rule, the - button on the bottom stays greyed-out, and won't let me delete the rule.  Also, the entire right-hand side is also greyed-out, so it looks like I can't just edit it to allow remote connections at the very least. I know firewalls are there to keep you safe, but if you need to be able to ssh to a machine to remotely manage it, then you need to do that, and the firewall shouldn't hinder you that way.

I even tried hitting the button for "Reset defaults", and initially it seemed to remove ALL of those settings, but as soon as I rebooted, they came back exactly where they had been, including the block remote incoming rule.

I'd really hate to disable the firewall just because I need to remotely connect to my machine, and when you disable the firewall, it *also* for some reason turns off real-time scanning, which is actually the bigger perk for me. If I can't have RT scanning, I may as well uninstall the whole thing and just go without.

Is there *any* way to be able to change or edit these rules that I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated,

-Bryan

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is there any way to change or remove default firewall rules in Mac Livesafe?

I assume not but I will ask next monday US time when we mods have our weekly call.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Is there any way to change or remove default firewall rules in Mac Livesafe?

Set it to home not public Might help

You cannot access resources on your network when Internet Security for Mac is installed

Document ID: TS102251

Problem

You cannot access various resources on your local or home network when McAfee Internet Security for Mac is first installed on your computer. Typically, you might experience problems printing to Wi-Fi or network-attached printers, or saving to Wi-Fi or network-attached hard drives. Access to other networked devices might also be affected.

Cause

This problem occurs because Internet Security for Mac installs its Firewall component in its most secure configuration of Public. This setting assumes that, for example, your Mac is being used on a Public network (such as in a coffee shop).

Solution

To resolve this issue, change the type of Network in the Firewall settings.

NOTE: Internet Security for Mac 4.0 contains a slightly different interface to the older versions, so you should follow the steps below for the version that you have installed. To see your version, click the McAfee menulet on the status bar, and then select About McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security.

When you have identified your version, click the blue triangle to see how to change your firewall settings:

1. Click the McAfee menulet in the menu bar (at the top of the screen near the clock) and select McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security Console.
  2. Click Mac Security, and then click Firewall.
  3. Click the lock and type your administrator password if prompted.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow beside Type: and change the option from Public to Home or Work.
  5. Click the lock again, close the Firewall window, and then close Internet Security for Mac.

1. Click the McAfee menulet in the menu bar (at the top of the screen near the clock) and select Preferences.
  2. Click on the Network Connections tab under the Firewall menu.
  3. Click the lock and type your administrator password if prompted.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow beside Type: and change the option from Public to Home or Work.
  5. Click the lock again, and close Internet Security for Mac.

You should now be able to access your networked device, print, save files to your hard drive, and so on.
Moderator Karthik_K
Message 4 of 5

Hi Buayaguy,

Please try these steps:

• Click the McAfee menulet in the menu bar (at the top of the screen near the clock) and select McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security Console.
  • Click Mac Security, and then click Firewall.
  • Click the lock and type your administrator password if prompted.
  • Click the drop-down arrow beside Type: and change the option from Public to Home or Work.
  • Click the lock again, close the Firewall window, and then close Internet Security for Mac.
  • Create a new rule to allow remote connections and check the status. I have attached a screenshot for your reference for rule creation.
Moderator Karthik_K
Message 5 of 5

Hi Mr. Sproles,

Kindly let us know the status of the issue.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community