cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Fix Firewall on Mac Blocking Plex?

Jump to solution

Monday at 1pm would be OK. I still cannot see how to get to private messages. I am betting this is a problem that no one there is using a Mac and all help about click name go to upper right corner works on a PC not on a Mac? Anyway the private messages seem impossible here as they certainly do not notify me as to their existence when I come on the Forum. The ONLY way I can get there is to click on your name, scroll to the very bottom, send YOU a message and then that gets me into the private messages area and I can only then see what you have sent men and I to you. I suggest this also be looked into! LOL. I really bet it is due to my being on a Mac. Just as is the problem that brought me here. I really hate Norton. But at least they do have a decent Mac interface. But I hope on Monday we can solve this PLEX-related problem so I can stay with McAfee. Hear from you at 1pm on Monday. Best.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Um, I just got into private messages (by originating one to you) and was able to only then see the inbox. I see there it says you will call me at 1pm on Monday. But in public here you are saying 2:30 on Tuesday. I really think that this is not a problem with my brain but with your Macintosh message area interface here. FYI I have been in messaging online since 1980 starting on CompuServe and have worked with every Forum software that there is and have been on many beta tests and interface design teams as well as alpha testing for both Apple and Microsoft. I wish it were possible to send you screenshots. 

Anyway.

Please respond here to this message using the public message reply and not a private message. Would your support call me at 2:30 on Tuesday (as your private message indicates)? Thanks. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Neil007 

Sure, we will call you Tuesday 2.30PM EST to troubleshoot the McAfee issue in your MAC computer.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sorry we did not connect again, you probably had my timezone wrong. HOWEVER, it appears I no longer need your help as the "problem" is fixed. What was happening is that Plex's settings would show that the server was no longer accessible remotely. When you killed the firewall the server setting would go green. But then I noticed that after a few minutes it would be red again but I could continue to access the files from the server! Apparently what has been happening is a problem in Plex perhaps how it interacts withMcAfee. When you set up the Plex server and choose to enable remote access it does work in that, yes, files can be accessed remotely. For example even though the Plex setting for remote is in the "red" state that files cannot be accessed remotely, if I go onto my iPhone and shut down wifi so that I am accessing the internet via the phone service I can access my files from far outside my wifi. This never happened when I was using Norton. So, somehow, Plex's settings refresh every so often and read a failure and change their error message. BUT the Plex error is in itself an error. Something they are reading with MacAfee activated is causing the error message although there is NOT AN ERROR. Very weird. But the bottom line is that the McAfee firewall does NOT appear to be blocking Plex even at all default settings although Plex continually reports that it is being blocked. I will report this to Plex (and am sure there will be nothing done by them) but wanted to post here to first thank you for the help  and, second, to let others know with Macs what happened and that hopefully there is actually not a problems. Best! -- Neil

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Neil007 

It's good to know that your Plex issue resolved, also thanks for the update regarding McAfee firewall is not blocking the Plex. Thank you for patience in resolving this issue. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community