Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Fix Firewall on Mac Blocking Plex?

Jump to solution

I had an unproductive phone call (2 hours) with a McCafee support person who basically gave up on  this and said it was impossible to do on a Mac and I would just have to turn off the firewall (!) every time I wanted to use my Plex server remotely. I simply cannot accept this as a solution and hope someone here has done this. I am using an iMac running the latest system software 10.15.4 and I am using the Plex server Version 1.19.3.2764-ef515a800 (which is used to share video and audio files both locally and remotely) and my McAfee is the Macintosh Total Protection Console (version 4.8.0. (756))..

Using the server locally there is no problem. But I cannot turn on remote access via the internet. If I go into the Console and to the Mac Security tab I can turn off the firewall. If I do that then the remote access in the Plex settings become immediately available (green font). As soon as I start up the McCafee firewall the remote access becomes unavailable (and the font turns to red).

Googling this it would appear if I was running Windows it would be simple;  Just choosing a program to pass through the firewall. But on the Macintosh software this looks very difficult to do. The McAfee person after two hours of trying via running my machine remotely gave up. (His I think lame and probably wrong explanation  was that this is impossible to do unless the server is a https url and never an http one. When I showed him how the firewall literally connected fine on the browser to various bookmarked http sites he said he would check something. He then apparently hung up the phone on me -- at least it seems so as he had my phone number and he never called back.

Anyway, the Plex system is extremely well known and used all over the world. Very, very popular software. It works fine with a Norton firewall but I hate Norton on the Mac and like McAfee other than this one problem. Please can anyone help me get Plex running remotely on my Mac while the McCafee firewall is operating? Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Fix Firewall on Mac Blocking Plex?

Jump to solution

Sorry we did not connect again, you probably had my timezone wrong. HOWEVER, it appears I no longer need your help as the "problem" is fixed. What was happening is that Plex's settings would show that the server was no longer accessible remotely. When you killed the firewall the server setting would go green. But then I noticed that after a few minutes it would be red again but I could continue to access the files from the server! Apparently what has been happening is a problem in Plex perhaps how it interacts withMcAfee. When you set up the Plex server and choose to enable remote access it does work in that, yes, files can be accessed remotely. For example even though the Plex setting for remote is in the "red" state that files cannot be accessed remotely, if I go onto my iPhone and shut down wifi so that I am accessing the internet via the phone service I can access my files from far outside my wifi. This never happened when I was using Norton. So, somehow, Plex's settings refresh every so often and read a failure and change their error message. BUT the Plex error is in itself an error. Something they are reading with MacAfee activated is causing the error message although there is NOT AN ERROR. Very weird. But the bottom line is that the McAfee firewall does NOT appear to be blocking Plex even at all default settings although Plex continually reports that it is being blocked. I will report this to Plex (and am sure there will be nothing done by them) but wanted to post here to first thank you for the help  and, second, to let others know with Macs what happened and that hopefully there is actually not a problems. Best! -- Neil

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Neil007 

We are sorry for the inconvenience, Please try resetting McAfee firewall and check the Plex system. Still if issue persist please uninstall and reinstall McAfee and try to access the Plex system.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

I reinstalled McAfee myself and reset the firewall before I even called for help. Your representative once he was in control of my machine uninstalled McAfee (again) and reinstalled it and tried many times to reset the firewall. No luck at all and hardly worth repeating a fourth or fifth time.I am guessing this has more to do with knowing how to modify the complicated "rules" in the firewall settings. I do not know if as moderator you are actually a McAfee employee in their office? If so you might want to escalate this or pass it up the chain as this is a support ticket which has not been able to be successfully addressed by a support representative in control of all settings on both my computer and your software.after a couple hours of work and varied attempts.  

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

Just curious: Will I be likely to hear from anyone else on this problem? 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Due to nature of this incident, we will contact and help you resolve the issue privately.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I've sent you a private message. Please check and respond back to that message.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution
Replied. Thanks very much!
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution
I did not receive the promised support phone call which we arranged in private messages. I am sending you another private message. Thank you.
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

I just mentioned I would send you a private message but for some reason I do not now see how to do that although I did it without problem before. Can you just quickly explain where I access this part of the interface here? At any rate, I never received a reply as to my scheduling all of Monday for you. Never got a call on Monday. Can you please still help me? Can we possibly communicate via email on this? If not I really need help on finding where the blazes the private messages are here as I just tried for a half an hour and just ran in circles! Sorry.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Neil007 

We have send an private message on Monday to confirm the time 1.00PM call back is ok? and We are sorry that you are unable to find the private message in the post. Please click my Name in the post and you will see the Private Message button at the top right hand corner. We have also send another Private Message today.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community