Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

mcafee multi platform vs mcafee av for storage

Hello Everyone,

I have a very important question and would love for an accurate answer.

We have a closed environment (no internet connection). All servers are virtual and I also have a VDI environment.

Some characteristics of the VDI environment:
1) The user's profile is on central storage
2) The VDI machines themselves are on storage
3) The machines are cleared every night

My question is, can I give up the Multi Platform on the assumption that all the data sits on central storage and is already scanned by Mcafee For Storage? Or is there any added value in MOVE that i miss?

thank you

david

8 Replies
hnegishi
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Re: mcafee multi platform vs mcafee av for storage

Hi @Former Member ,

Thank you for posting on the community.

As an advantage point, MOVE-MP can do On-demand scan with minimize the performance impact on virtual servers.

For more details, please find following information.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/solution-briefs/sb-move-av-4-performance-advantages.pdf

There are some conditions to use MOVE-MP in your environment.

- There is an ePolicy Orchestrator(ePO) in your persistent virtual environment that can communicate with each VDI client/virtual server.

- You can install MOVE-MP Server to your persistent virtual server.

- Your ePO can check-in DAT package from following site.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/security-updates.html

To be sure, I should tell you in this reply there is a KB article for MOVE FAQ as follows.

--------------------

Can MOVE Multi-Platform run in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) mode with VMware Horizon 6, for non-persistent VMware images that close as a user logs off and goes back to a gold image state?
Yes.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83964&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

--------------------

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9

Hello,

thank you for your quick replay.

Let me try to be more specific about my question

I only ask about my VDI environment:
1) The user's profile sits in central storage
2) All the data the user is working on is stored on central storage
3) The VDI machines every night are erased and built from scratch
4) The Golden Image has already been scanned by ENS

Following on these features what reason should I put move multi platform on the VDI machines (I already have av fot storage)?

Is there a case in my situation that move will detect something that will not be scanned by av for storage?

thank you

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9

If you didn't have the profile and data already being scanned for malware then i would say there is a good reason to use MOVE MP.  However, i don't see a real benefit to having it installed in your environment.  if anything, I would maybe suggest installing ens to the gold image just to protect the local system while the users are logged in, but even then, if they did accidentally get infected they could just shut down the machine and reset it.    

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9

Hello,

"If you didn't have the profile and data already being scanned for malware then i would say there is a good reason to use MOVE MP"

Just to see that i understand you.

If my profile and data on acentral storage and they allready scan by anti virus for storage so there is no benfit for move in the vdi envirment?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

correct, i don't see that having MOVE installed would provide much benefit in this case.  however, if you still wanted to have av scanning on the client just to protect the OS then you might look at installing ens instead.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

Thank you.

One last question, if i scan the golden.image with ens that means that all the files are get in "cache" that right?

Is there any benfit for instaling ens on each vdi machine?

The engine of move mp and virus scan for storage is the same? They both check only dat or there something more sophisticated?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

Thank you.

One last question, if i scan the golden.image with ens that means that all the files are get in "cache" that right?

Is there any benfit for instaling ens on each vdi machine?

The engine of move mp and virus scan for storage is the same? They both check only dat or there something more sophisticated?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9

yes, if you scanned the golden image with ens then all the files scanned would be in cache as long as ens is still installed on that system. 

the reason for having ens on the vdi would be that if the user has access to the internet or to shares that aren't protected by av then there is a chance while they are logged in that they could download malware and infect the system.

Yes, both MOVE and vse for storage use the same dats and engine to do their scanning   

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community