cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Removing SVM from pool of available scanning servers

I'd like to know the 'best practice' for removing a SVM offload scanner from the pool of SVM/scanning servers? We have a total of 6 SVMs and our SVM manager. We'd like to remove three of them temporarily so that they can be scanned offline for vulnerabilities, and then re-joined to the pool. We have more than enough SVMs to handle our present load but want to do this because we anticipate an influx of new VMs in our environment. We want to do this scanning before end of the month (November) for the anticipated increase in VMs in January. I have tested this by removing the MOVE OSS components and that seems to redistribute the load to the other SVMs (I've done this with one SVM) but I wanted to know if that is the best practice?
1 Reply
McAfee Employee patrakshar
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Removing SVM from pool of available scanning servers

Hello @User32139236 

As long as you are sure that removing 3 SVM's wont cause a load issue you can do that. There is no best practice guide as such for this because it depends on environment.

However we need to make sure that we do not get into any circumstances where removing 3 SVMs creates load issue. So best will be since you have 6 SVM's, get 3 new new servers and add it into SVA-Manager. Remove the old 3 SVM and perform offline scanning. Put back those those SVM's in sva-manager. Then you can remove the newly created SVM's from the pool. In this way we know load sharing will not be an issue.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community