Yes we were able to change the policy. Could it be that you're not the original owner of the existing policy? ePO has a limitation where only Global Admins and policy owners can make changes to policies. If so, take a copy of the policy and edit that one. Let me know if I misunderstood your question.
I just noticed this question here today. Yes when we upgraded the 2.6.1 extensions to 3.6.1 the existing 2.6.1 policies were migrated to 3.6.1 policies and we were able to edit them.
Hello McDuff, sorry disturbing you, i nedd to migrate from 2.6.2 to 3.6.1
Which is the best way to migrate?
i was thinking to :
1. Upgrade extension from 2.6.2 to 3.6.1
2. Modify policy as you said to let client have both configuration...
3. create 2 new oss with 3.6.1
4. start migrate client
there is something else that i have to check or to do?
Thnak you very much
Sorry for the delay. Yes, that's what you do.
1. Upgrade the MOVE extensions to version 3.6.1. The new extensions are backwards compatible with the older clients. Verify clients are ok.
2. Upgrade your offload scanners to version 3.6.1 (you say you have two new which is great). These are backwards compatible with MOVE 2.6.1 client.
3. Take a copy of your existing your MOVE 3.6.1 client policy and update with the two new offload servers in BOTH places.
4. Assign this policy to a test group. Test that MOVE 2.6 clients work with 3.6.1 offload server.
5. Once you're happy with the testing, assign the policy to the rest.
6. Upgrade your clients. Do one or two as a test first, verify and then you can do the rest.
Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
Hello McDuff thank you very much for you reply just some other question before starting upgrade :
1. I was thinking to use 2 new server with new offload scan because in some mcafee kb i saw they use this scenario, i think for some incompatibility, you said instead that i can upgrade them.. what is the best way?
2.you said "Take a copy of your existing your MOVE 3.6.1 client policy and update with the two new offload servers in BOTH places", i will have 2 policy on the system one pointing to 2.6 and one to 3.6.1 and i will have to set up them pointing to correct oss server (in case i will create 2 new oss server)?
3. i will have to upload package in evaluation branch and only at the end of migration put them in current branch correct?
4. the sva manager (connecting vmware with mcafee suite) i will have to update it to new version? if yes i will do it at the end of migration?
Thank you very much for your help.
1. Like you,we did not upgrade our offload servers - we set up two new offload servers. That way, we had a rollback option if things went south and we wouldn't be impacting production systems which were pointing to the existing offload server. And once everything was upgraded we decommissioned the old servers. If you can do that it would probably be the best,
2. Once you upgrade the extensions you will no longer have the old 2.6.1 policy sets. They will all be upgraded to the 3.6.1 policy sets which are backwards compatible with 2.6.1 clients. After you stand up your two offload servers you want to point your test 2.6.1 (soon to be 3.6.1) clients to these new offload servers. You must do this in two places:
You can decide if you want to use the SVA manager. If you only have two like we do, we just assigned ours manually
3. Yes, you can check the 3.6.1 software into the evaluation branch to install test software on test systems via ePO. Or you can just download the 3.6.1 software and manually install the software on the test systems.
4. The SVA manager is for helping the clients choose which offload server to use. Since we only have two offload servers we didn't bother using the SVA manager - we just assigned them both manually as in the screenshot above. SVA Manager wasn't part of MOVE 2.6.1. If you want to use the SVA manager, you'll need to set it up before you point the clients to the new offload servers and configure the offload servers to register with the SVA (see screenshot below). For only two offload servers I wouldn't bother but if you plan to expand, then you can.
Hope that helps. Don't make any changes to all your systems before they've been tested and verified on sample systems first. Good luck!
Hello mcduff how are you?
i am disturbing you because u saved my life last time when i need to upgrade from move 2.6 to 3.6.1.. 🙂
now i need your help again.. i need to upgrade 3.61 to 4.0..
do you know something about this procedure?
thank you in advance
No I have not had an issue waiting on a test server to be built to test. However I had a McAfee guy tell us we could not manage 2.6 with 3.6 extensions. However that did not make sense to me sense the policy itself says it support 2.6.x. I have actually worked in Pro services for McAfee but not a lot with MOVE. However i have to explain to people things when someone throws a wrench in things.