cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McDuff
Level 10

MOVE 3.6.1 SVA Manager - What Happens to Clients When SVA Manager Server Goes Down?

Hi

We're looking at upgrading our MOVE multiplatform 2.6.2 clients to version 3.6.1 and I see there's a new feature called the SVA Manager which automatically assigns clients to an offload servers.

My question is:  what happens to MOVE clients if the SVA Manager server goes offline?  Do clients continue to use their last offload servers?  Or is scanning disabled?

What's your experience with MOVE 3.6.1?  Any gotchas that we need to know about?

Appreciate your comments.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andybaran
Level 9

Re: MOVE 3.6.1 SVA Manager - What Happens to Clients When SVA Manager Server Goes Down?

I'm currently evaluating Move Multi-Platform and have the same question.  I also wonder what happens in the case that a client can't reach an OSS.  I have a few smaller branch offices with a single host where I hope to deploy a single OSS.  I don't expect that this would happen often but it could certainly happen during normal maintenance activities like patching the operating system for the OSS.

0 Kudos
McDuff
Level 10

Re: MOVE 3.6.1 SVA Manager - What Happens to Clients When SVA Manager Server Goes Down?

With MOVE 2.6.2 if a client can't access the offload server (server is down or MOVE services are stopped), scanning is disabled and users are briefly presented with a message that scanning is down.  However, we've run into cases where the MOVE offload server was online and the MOVE services were running but VirusScan on the MOVE server wasn't fully functional because it had recently been upgraded and wasn't restarted.  In this case, we had huge client impacts on the virtual systems as all read and writes had to time out before they could continue.  The workaround was to stop the MOVE service (so scanning would be disabled), and restart the MOVE server to complete the VirusScan upgrade, but clients were understandably very upset.  To ensure that 100% of the clients aren't impacted like they were in our situation, it's a good idea to have more than one offload server with the assignment managed by the SVA Manager and also disable the MOVE service prior to servicing VirusScan on the MOVE server.  But, as per my question, are we essentially having the same single point of failure with the SVA manager?

0 Kudos
McDuff
Level 10

Actually, just found this document which may answer my question https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25344/en_US/... .  It talks about how to configure high availability on the SVA Manager because it sounds like if it goes down systems will be either in operable or not scanning.

0 Kudos
rajinp
Level 10

If SVA Manager goes down, the existing clients will talk to the OSS which is already assigned.

The new clients won't get any OSS.

0 Kudos