cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does MOVE protect Network Shares?

Jump to solution

We are implementing a secure FTP solution.

The FTP servers will be VMWare guests. The VMWare hosts have McAfee MOVE installed.

We want to host the storage for the FTP servers in CIFS shares on our NetApp and EMC SANs. Shares to be created 'natively' on the SANs, no file servers.

I have 2 questions.

1. - If the FTP servers have mapped drives to the network shares, will MOVE scan/protect the network shares?

2. - If the answer to question 1. is no, does our MOVE licensing allow us to install McAfee software directly on the FTP servers that will scan/protect the network shares?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does MOVE protect Network Shares?

Jump to solution

MOVE does not support scanning of network drives, either mounted as DFS shares or mapped drives. It is recommended that customers use VirusScan Enterprise for Storage and scan files locally, not over the network.

5 Replies

Jump to solution

MOVE does not support scanning of network drives, either mounted as DFS shares or mapped drives. It is recommended that customers use VirusScan Enterprise for Storage and scan files locally, not over the network.

Jump to solution

Hi @bcandrew,

Thanks for the info. Is there a KB or product guide that mentions this? Can't seem to find one!

Thanks

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

This thread is almost a year old.

Features which are not part of a product, won't be documented - so no, the MOVE docs won't tell you about things MOVE does not do. As BC suggested though, you need to talk to your McAfee rep about VSE options.

Move is designed to protect VM's, not to do file share scanning.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply SafeBoot.

I have since discovered that File Share scanning is a feature of MOVE AV [Multi-Platform] which I am using (as opposed to Agentless).

I enabled this within the Move Client Policy, and I thought that it was not working when testing however I discovered the behavior was expected as per this KB

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB83625

McAfee Employee rajinp
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

MOVE MP Does.

MOVE Al does not.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community