eg211
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Best practice questions on MOVE multiplatform

Jump to solution

Hi There,

I have some questions regarding MOVE multiplatform:

1, I was told by someone before that files are transferred from MOVE client to SVM for scanning via TCP connection, question is, is there has a max file size threshold send to SVM? or any files that need to be scanned will send to SVM?

2, I have a customer asking they are planning to install MOVE on file servers, do you have best practice suggestions under this scenario?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrakshar McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Re: Best practice questions on MOVE multiplatform

Jump to solution

The caching will be happening for the files that we scan. So when you define the max file size for scanning it is also defining the max file to scan and then to cache it. The option you are looking at is correct.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
YashT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello @eg211 ,

As per your queries :

If a file must be sent to MOVE AV Multi-Platform to be scanned, is it sent encrypted or unencrypted?
In MOVE AV Multi-Platform, there are two ways files are transferred to the scanning appliance (SVM):
  • If the file size is smaller than the default threshold (40 MB), the complete file is sent to the SVM unencrypted.
  • If the file size is larger than the default threshold, the file is sent in chunks (offset of the file) when requested by the SVM, and then scanned.

This details can be found in KB83964

McAfee MOVE AntiVirus 4.7.0 Product Guide

Above guide will help you to understand how it works and how to configure it.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
eg211
Level 10
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

HI @YashT ,

Thanks for your reply. just to confirm is the threshold(40MB) configurable in MOVE policy? I found this:

Snipaste_2019-12-13_14-20-06.png

But this seems for fie cache settings, not for defining max file size needs to be scanned...

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

The caching will be happening for the files that we scan. So when you define the max file size for scanning it is also defining the max file to scan and then to cache it. The option you are looking at is correct.

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

To answer the file server question, there is no specific recommendation as such. You need to understand the fact that in MOVE multi platform scan happens over network. So when too many clients access the file server, the MOVE client installed in the file server consider all the I/o operation and send the same to OSS. Now the number of file will be huge. If the OSS has enough capability and proper exclusions has been set within MOVE policy then should not be a problem by installing MOVE on the File server.

Highlighted
eg211
Level 10
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks @patrakshar @YashT , much appreciated.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community