Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McDuff
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

2nd SVM Manager Blocks Port 8080 Intermittently

Greetings

We're testing out using two SVM Managers in our test environment.  There was conflicting information about whether or not this could be done so we thought we'd give it a try.

The problem we're running into is strange:  the 2nd SVM Manager appears to work for a while, but then all of a sudden stops working.  When we Test-NetConnection -Port 8080 <svm mgr> from a client we see that the traffic is not getting through.  And, what's stranger is if we change the SVM Manager policy to something else, the port opens up again for a while.

Has anyone seen this before?  Could this have something to do with two SVM Managers in the same ePO environment?  Or?  Currently both our SVM Managers are using port 8080 to communicate with clients.

4 Replies
hnegishi
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: 2nd SVM Manager Blocks Port 8080 Intermittently

Hi @McDuff 

Thank you for posting on the community.

You can use multiple SVM managers in single ePO but I have not seen such behavior ever.

To investigate this issue, you might need to raise a service request with exported MOVE policies and MER log of SVM manager.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83779

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McDuff
Level 11
Message 3 of 5

Yes I've heard it's a highly unusual thing, but having two SVM Managers does meet our requirements:

We want:

1.  All of our servers to be scanned only by a group of SVMs dedicated to servers.

2.  All of our workstations to be scanned only by another group of SVMs dedicated to workstations.

3.  To use the SVM Manager policy  "Assign SVM if no rule is defined for the above client" to assign a system to an SVM if for some reason tagging doesn't occur properly on the MOVE workstation and server clients and/or SVMs servers.

With a single SVM manager and the above requirements, there could be a case where a workstation, server, workstation SVM or server SVM isn't tagged correctly, and the SVM Manager would assign the workstation to the server SVM, which we don't want.

Using two separate SVM Managers solves this problem as there's no need for tagging, you simply assign the workstations to one SVM Manager and the servers to the other SVM manager.  It's a much cleaner and simpler solution.  However I do wonder if there are indeed issues with two SVM Managers, particularly if they're both using port 8080 to connect to (different) clients.

McDuff
Level 11
Message 4 of 5

As a test, I'm configuring the 2nd SVM Manager to use a different port other than 8080.  Will monitor port availability and post results.

McDuff
Level 11
Message 5 of 5

Configured the 2nd SVM manager to use port 8085, again it worked for a little while, then started blocking port 8085.  Original SVM manager seems to be working ok.

So, we shut down the 2nd SVM manager and we're running a powershell script to monitor the port availability on the 1st SVM manager for a few days and confirm this isn't happening to it as well.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community