cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows uninstall won't work

Jump to solution

Hi all,

After forking over the money, my McAfee Internet Security won't install. As advised in this forum I first try to uninstall the McAfee trial software that came with my new laptop.

But it is not possible to remove the trial software through Windows (8.1) Programs and Features. When I select McAfee and click Uninstall/Change I get a window which only let's me click cancel. The remove button is disabled (greyed out).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fail.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows uninstall won't work

Jump to solution

Hi,

I figured it out. Using the task manager I found out that the installer program of the full version was still running in the background (doing nothing as far as I could see). It was not possible to kill it. So I restarted and then I could run the Windows uninstall correctly for the trial version. After that, the installer for the full version ran correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Note for McAfee: Please make an installer that does not choke on your own trial software.

11 Replies
Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi beejee,

Were you able to locate the Internet Security icon in the Desktop or Start Menu. If yes try opening it and check to see if it opens Successfully. This might happen if the software files are tampered with and/or corrupt Installation.

Post back if the software is fully functional..!

Jump to solution

Yes, the trial software is fully functional (and keeps reminding me that the trial will expire soon).

Jump to solution

Yes, I am Admin. I have no Anti-theft running.

I will try Tech support when it's office hours again.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

See what Selvan can suggest...he posted at the same time as I did.  Hopefully he can help.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi beejee,

Check to see if you are the Administrator because McAfee cannot be Uninstalled by Standard / Guest users of PC. Once confirming that you are the Administrator try Uninstalling from command line following below steps.

> Goto the McAfee Installed location usually C:/Program Files/McAfee

> Open Command as Administrator and navigate to the above location using cd <location>

> Type Uninstall.exe and hit Enter

Post back if you are successful....!

Jump to solution

Hi,

I figured it out. Using the task manager I found out that the installer program of the full version was still running in the background (doing nothing as far as I could see). It was not possible to kill it. So I restarted and then I could run the Windows uninstall correctly for the trial version. After that, the installer for the full version ran correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Note for McAfee: Please make an installer that does not choke on your own trial software.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK and Selvan can you pass that last line back to the developers please?

Thanks 😉

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi beejee,

I never knew that you initiated the Installation of full version and tried to Uninstall Trial McAfee..!

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem you had. The "continue" button is not clickable and is preventing me from uninstalling this unnecessary junk on my Windows 10 PC. Please explain, with a little more clarity, the steps you took to remove this frustrating garbage from your PC. I hope you or someone who understands how you managed to do what you did sees my plea and is willing to help. Ironically McAfee, a supposed "antivirus software," is (in my experience anyway) much more frustrating and aggravating than any malicious software, malware, or virus that has ever infected my PC. Every solution I have seen involves downloading 8MB worth of removal software from, guess who, McAfee!!! This whole issue arose when I was deleting crap off of my PC to free up space on my pathetically undersized hard drive.  The last thing I want to do is download more junk from McAfee that will probably get stuck on my PC or at least be hell to remove... PLEASE HELP!!!                                      

Sincerely,

Bob

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community