I've had McAfee products since 2012. I switched from Total Protection to LiveSafe about 3 weeks ago.
Couple days ago I used 'Windows Update' to upgrade my Windows 10 Dell desktop from 1703 to 1709 (Fall Creators Update). After several attempts, I kept getting Error 0x80244018 during the v1709 upgrade (turned LiveSafe firewall OFF during one failed attempt). I had to uninstall LiveSafe to get Windows 10 to upgrade to 1709. After upgrading to v1709, I ran MCPR. Currently Windows 10 v1709 has Defender working.
Currently I can't get LiveSafe to re-install on the same Dell. I've tried using the McAfee activate webpage on the card. I've tried logged into my McAfee account, looked at my current LiveSafe subscription and clicked on PROTECT THIS DEVICE. Every time I get to the point where I RUN or SAVE a Setup exe (35.2 MB). After the Setup exe runs or saves, a popup says "Restart your device so we can finish removing your McAfee software & install your new protection", I click CLOSE. Then restart Dell. Dell fires up and nothing. I've done this in Adm user, and probably regular user.
Thanks for any suggestions.
The Dell desktop was the only device using my LiveSafe subscription (for about 3 weeks), now there are 0 devices using my LiveSafe subscription.
I've got 2 system images: one with v1709 & Defender on 500 GB 'My Passport', and another with v1703 & LiveSafe on 1TB 'My Passport'. My 2012 Dell with Windows 10 has the 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)', which worked great the one time I used it for a system image restore. Using a system image to go back to v1703 & LiveSafe would seem a bad choice, due to the Fall Creators Update takes several hours to download & install with my slow DSL (I'd guess 6 hours).
I tried again this evening to re-install LiveSafe. I was in ADM user, login to my McAfee account and saw my LiveSafe subscription listed with 0 devices, clicked DOWNLOAD, clicked RUN, allow this app to make changes - clicked YES, got a new popup this time "McAfee System Core Installer has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" - clicked CLOSE PROGRAM.
I opened Task Manager and saw a few McAfee items listed, but their values were not changing. I looked in Settings / Apps , and McAfee was not in list.
I Restored my Nov 16 image (Windows 10 v1709 & Windows Defender), took 43 minutes with 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'. This 2012 Dell desktop originally had W7, it got the free W10 upgrade in 2016.
When I had 1703, the 'Windows Update' worked perfect with LiveSafe for regular updates.
'Windows Update' had Error 0x80244018 every time it tried to update from 1703 to 1709 (maybe 6 failures).
Uninstalling LiveSafe did allow 'Windows Update' to correctly update from 1703 to 1709.
Thanks, I probably won't be trying anything else for awhile.
Well, I restored my Nov 1 image this morning (Windows 10 1703 & LiveSafe). 'Windows Update' then updated KB4048954, KB4049011, AND KB4048951. All done in ADM user.
I'll just put Dell desktop back in ADM user and wait for the next 'Windows Update' activity (in regular user now).
LiveSafe is currently working properly. Can't stop W10 'Windows Update' 1709 forever. Should I uninstall McAfee or not before 1709 download / install? Although last time 'Windows Update' started downloading 1709 by itself, and I didn't have any control. I'll get the MCPR downloaded in ADM.
Last time I kept getting Error 0x80244018 every time; until I tried uninstalling McAfee. The time that 1703 to 1709 was successful, 'Windows Update' had started the 1709 download for the 7th or 8th time (?), and I only had time to uninstall LiveSafe & WebAdvisor with the Settings / Apps method (couldn't download the MCPR, because 'Windows Update' was using all of my 1.28 Mbps DSL to download 1709.
Maybe problem is due to I uninstalled LiveSafe & WebAdvisor; updated 1703 to 1709; then ran MCPR ??? instead of uninstall LiveSafe, WebAdvisor, run MCPR, then update 1703 to 1709 ???
So I had restored my 1703 & LiveSafe 'system image'. I uninstall LiveSafe & WebAdvisor as McAfee recommends, then I ran MCPR tool. 'Windows update' started yesterday and ran overnight, 1709 failed to install. Could be due to my 1.28 Mbps DSL?
This morning I restored 1709 & Defender 'system image'. After several Windows updates finished (I view activity with Task Manager), I login to my McAfee account with 0 devices protected. I tried twice to get LiveSafe on my Dell; both attempts had a popup which said 'Restart Your Device' 'Restart your device so we can finish removing your McAfee software and install your new protection'. After RESTARTS there is no McAfee activity on my Dell desktop.
I won't be making any further posts, I'm going to restore the 1709 & Defender 'system image' and give up. Thanks.
Please try the below steps and see if you are able to install
1. Visit the start-up folder (Open Run dialogue and type shell:startup > click OK)
2. check for entry named $mcreboot... and delete it
3. Retry the installation which should work fine
I should admit that 1.28 Mbps DSL speed is slower than most Internet users