cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows 10 notifying Firewall and Anti-Virus turned off

Jump to solution

For last two days my PC has intermittently flashed a warning message

1. "Windows defender and McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware are both turned off."

2. "Windows Firewall and McAfee Firewall are both turned off."

My McAfee Live Safe application tells me 'my computer is secure' ... all options are showing green and up-to-date and specifically firewall and real time scanning is reported as on

Is this a windows 10 (automatic) update error or something else ? Last auto update to version 1607 was completed on 10 November

I have noticed an identical  forum question from 3 years ago ( which suggests that the most important thing is the  McAfee Live Safe protection confirmation, but further reassurance or guidance would be appreciated

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows 10 notifying Firewall and Anti-Virus turned off

Jump to solution

With McAfee installed Defender should be off, but the other notices are hopefully false alarms.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes problems.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

On the slightly lower left of that page you'll see "Contact Support".

That's the place to contact Technical Support if you decide to.  It's free of charge and the phone method is best.

I advise you do that if the MVT doesn't help.

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

With McAfee installed Defender should be off, but the other notices are hopefully false alarms.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes problems.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

On the slightly lower left of that page you'll see "Contact Support".

That's the place to contact Technical Support if you decide to.  It's free of charge and the phone method is best.

I advise you do that if the MVT doesn't help.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion.

My suspicion is the problem related to a Firefox update which seemed to coincide with the windows messages ?

McAfee Virtual Technician identified but did not resolve a missing McAfee Web advisor file

Problem seems to have been resolved by a full uninstall and reinstall of LiveSafe with assistance from Technical Support as you advised

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now.  Good luck 

Moderator sanjay
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Please share the Version and Release Name of the antivirus suite. To find the details, Click on "About" (bottom right corner) after opening the suite.

Cheers

Sanjay

Jump to solution

Hi Phil,

There could be conflict between Windows Firewall and McAfee firewall due to the recent windows update which resulted the issue occurred.

You can turn off the notifications about windows firewall as McAfee is still working properly and protecting the PC :

• Open Control Panel
  • Click on System and Security
  • Click Security and Maintenance
  • Open the Security drop down
  • Click: "Turn off messages about network firewall" and rest notification.

Jump to solution

I've got the same issue in here and for solving it I've removed McAfee by using this official removal tool:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

After removed it I reboot Windows and I installed McAfee back and reboot once more. Now Windows 10 is not notifying me and Windows Defender shows is everything OK.

Note: Before removing McAfee sigin into your account and dowload installer to your computer.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.