Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikiem2
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 22

Win10 Fall Creators Update have to sign-in twice

Basically a heads up on what **may** be a McAfee bug with the new 10 version 1709.

After installing the 1709 upgrade on 2 machines [(1) Home & (1) Pro] I upgraded LifeSafe versions -- both had older versions, plus I was concerned about the Windows version upgrade process removing or disabling parts of McAfee, as has been reported with other brands of security software [e.g. Kaspersky suing Microsoft]. I did not uninstall or remove LifeSafe prior to upgrading LifeSafe versions.

After upgrading LifeSafe, both PCs started requiring you to sign-in twice -- hit spacebar, bringing up the screen to enter the PIN, enter the PIN, goes back to original screen, hit spacebar, enter PIN, & Windows 10 then starts.

The solution was to run Netplwiz -- I right clicked the Start Button & selected Run, entering netplwiz -- clearing the only checkbox [to require sign-in], which brought up another dialog to enter user name & password. Restarted, & this time had two user names or account on the sign-in screen -- chose the regular, old one, entered the PIN, & Windows started. Ran Netplwiz again, checking the box this time, & restarted. Everything was back to normal.

21 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Win10 Fall Creators Update have to sign-in twice

Thanks for that update and workaround.

I'm sure the Moderators could mention this on their next conference call with McAfee support staff.

​ interesting?

My Win 10's haven't yet updated to that version so can't be of help.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Mine on 1703 is 1709 a beta? OK that update is coming in now will check what you say

mikiem2
Level 7
Message 4 of 22

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, 1709, is apparently being pushed out VERY aggressively by Microsoft. In the past it could take several months before it showed up in Windows Update -- not everyone has received the last version, 1703 yet. So I was really very surprised when it showed up on the two devices over the weekend, & had to scramble a bit, & rearrange my plans.

I was lucky, & had already downloaded the ISOs, so just turned off the Windows Update service, & ran setup from that. Both of those devices are slower [one's an i3 2-in-one & the other's a mini-PC with a Celeron], & waiting for that download to complete adds several hours on top of the several hours it takes to update them. After the update on the 2-in-one, LiveSafe showed [for an hour +] that it was trying to repair Realtime Scanning, which wasn't working -- I didn't really check it out beyond that since I had planned on upgrading versions anyway once Windows was upgraded. I didn't open LiveSafe to check if it also had problems on the mini-PC.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Not seeing anything amiss. Livesafe seems stable though I had not removed it before updating windows. On 16.0.4 version When you upgraded livesafe how did you reinstall over the top without removing it first?

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 22

OK, finally 1709'd and no issue here....yet but there is a thread about this at Win 10 Forums so maybe not a McAfee issue at all.

Windows 10 Forums

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 22

BTW this CE update is a killer.  I had to restart 3 times for it to finish installing as it kept saying I hadn't done it....sigh.

mikiem2
Level 7
Message 8 of 22

"My Win 10 Enterprise x64 is in the process of installing 1709....if it ever completes as it's taking forever."

Hopefully everything will work as it should. I *had planned* on Microsoft staging a more relaxed rollout schedule, so I updated a Windows To Go drive for hardware compatibility testing. Couldn't get it to boot! Creating the drive fresh, it works OK. You're not supposed to upgrade those WTG drives, though I've done it a couple of times, so hopefully that's it, & others won't have problems.

"... When you upgraded livesafe how did you reinstall over the top without removing it first?"

I was lazy & just right-clicked the icon in the notification area & selected "Upgrade product".

"... there is a thread about this at Win 10 Forums so maybe not a McAfee issue at all."

I Hope it's not McAfee related, but no such problems on 4 other 1709 upgrades without McAfee installed, so I thought it might be helpful to post it here in case someone else had the same problem. I know it gave me a WTF moment when it 1st happened.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 22

That way usually not best way to upgrade I still prefer the windows uninstall reboot and run MCPR removal tool reboot. Up grade windows and then upgrade Mcafee if you wanted to go that way. I did not I just upgraded windows worked no problem. so you are saying that now or after the upgrade and Mcafee install over the top that windows required two logins?

My windows login skips the login box so mine not the best to compare. Peter and CD do yours actually stop at a login box?.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 22

None of those win 10 forum posters said they had McAfee I noticed.