cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does LiveSafe need to update software (not definitions) every day

I can't believe McAfee is issuing a software update every day.  Both of my computers keep prompting me that the program needs to close to update the software.  Every day?  I'm not talking about definitions.

Since this is happening on both of my laptops I can only determine this is a software issue.  This just started about a week ago.  I wanted to uninstall McAfee LiveSafe then reinstall it, but I don't know where to find the full program.  The only place I could find is where I can send a link to another device/computer then it generates a new serial number.  I'm assuming that isn't the right place.

I am worried that LiveSafe may be broken and is not protecting my laptops if these daily updates are failing.  I never get an error message.  I only received a message every day it has to close the software for an update which I had never received before for just a regular update.

6 Replies

Re: Why does LiveSafe need to update software (not definitions) every day

With security software you need to be always up to date so the software checks for and usually downloads an update, at least daily.

I think you'll find the engine version number is VirusScan has changed in "About".

It never did it before.  This is a complete install of the software itself not definitions like I said.  I just wanted to find out if this is usual or a flaw in the latest version.

I tried it today and it did not update the software.  It just updated the definitions.

catdaddy Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

It seems a Colleague of mine is experiencing this issue also. I personally am not, however I am running the 15.1 R0 Version. So you are not alone.Have you tried a Reboot?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

No I occasionally experience updates getting stuck for hours on end, a different issue, I think.

The OP means daily updating, is it necessary?

Well yes it is, especially with all the malware out there today.

The picture below shows what is most likely the daily update they mean, click to enlarge.

Other parts of the software update at different times.

Also the software will poll to check for available updates several times per day.

Capture.JPG

Highlighted

This is the version I have:

McAfee LiveSafe

Version 14.0

Release Name: 14.0 R11

If it is updating the software then why don't I have the same version as you?  This is a bug in the software.  Maybe I should report it.

I have rebooted it several times and tried to update again with the same results.  That is why I asked why would it keep updating the software itself.  As shown above it isn't even the current version.  I think I'll uninstall and reinstall it.

catdaddy Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 7

Can you open your McAfee UI, and check your Affld#? If your subscription is provided by your ISP/Manufacturer, sometimes there is a delay of being upgraded to the next Version/Build. No fault of McAfee. So no need to go through the trouble of Uninstalling/Reinstalling.

The latest Version for you is most likely 14.0 R12.

I also recommend set your Update settings to (Automatic)

For (Manually) trying to makes it hang at times.

It will eventually upgrade.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community