Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 47

Re: W10, annoying Update problem.

Jump to solution

No, the logs are only readable by support.

If it's any consolation here's my report,  History takes too long to load so gave up:

Capture2.JPG

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 47

Jump to solution

I checked mine out of curiosity after reading the thread. Mine was 9,815 Blocked connections. Just thought I would add that....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

catdaddy wrote:

I checked mine out of curiosity after reading the thread. Mine was 9,815 Blocked connections. Just thought I would add that....

Well after 3 hours running I'm up to 2,030. I seriously doubt these are real 'problems/threats'. I also think IF these are not bogus messages into a log but a REAL block it has to cause 'us' problems. TCP/IP will resend a request if there is a timeout. I'm running wired so I don't think a packet sniffer would work, but maybe for wireless it would.

Interesting in that about 3 hours I've only had another 300 or so blocked? That has to mean a majority of them were blocked during the initial boot and loading process?

Since I don't seem to see any problems of lost data I wonder if TCP/IP retries eventually get the required packet? I did notice in the log most happened during boot up, I've got some programs that 'call home' looking for updates as well as e-mail checkers.

What will turn this 'checking' off? Assuming it is in the F/W is it Intrusion Protection (it was OFF this morning and I turned it on, that is not checked?) or Net Guard (on but no data showing?)? Somewhere else?

Reason being I want to turn it off and see if I boot faster (if I can even measure that?)?

Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 47

Jump to solution

Blocked attempts will vary wildly from person to person depending on your ISP and how you connect, your network setup and not to mention firewall settings.

You can turn off some logging in Firewall settings, but beware of meddling with things.  If disaster strikes support wont have much to work with.

Jump to solution

Don't care about the logging. Right or wrong, it is what it is. I'm more concerned with the function that is calling the logging that I want to turn off. If that is just trying to log stuff incorrectly I'll not see any change or I will discover problems with the data coming in IF it is bad.

Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 47

Jump to solution

As I said you can alter/turn off various logging aspects in Firewall > Firewall History.  There is no other way to turn off logging and in any case, they don't occupy large amounts of space.

If you are in doubt consult with Technical Support directly.

Jump to solution

Back to the ORIGINAL subject. Happened again, PC was asleep.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

The minute I open LS it started to continue. Was at 0% when I opened LS.

Capture3.JPG

Nothing found... note the time? Where is that server or where is it getting the time from? =5 GMT here, middle of the Atlantic?

Another data point as well. Was playing a game (full screen) and when I finished I noticed the icon was like above. However this time it was 45% into a scan. When I open LS it DID NOT restart the scan, I had to press RESUME. Seems like it doesn't want to run in the background? Could that be the problem here or is a windows setting I've got wrong?

Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 47

Jump to solution

We don't know, only the developers working on it know what is going on.  All we know is that a fix is on the way.

Jump to solution

How is the 'fix' coming? Been a long time waiting.

I've discovered most of the time when it does finally run it says I'm on the latest, no updates. However a few times it DOES install updates and that worries me, especially if those are signatures.

I've got Dell's LS version and I'm on V 14.0, build 14.0.4121 of the Security Center which I assume is the controlling part for this updating?

Can you manage to get a better timeframe on the fix delivery?

Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 47

Jump to solution

An update a day keeps the cobwebs away......oh well that's a bad joke, but I wouldn't let it worry you.   Look on the blue dot thingy as an interface glitch and nothing more.  The software is updating noirmally despite all.

The fix is in beta testing as we speak and should be released in the coming weeks.