cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: W10, annoying Update problem.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

An update a day keeps the cobwebs away......oh well that's a bad joke, but I wouldn't let it worry you.   Look on the blue dot thingy as an interface glitch and nothing more.  The software is updating noirmally despite all.

The fix is in beta testing as we speak and should be released in the coming weeks.

I disagree that is a glitch? True on most occasions it completes trying to update and says I have the latest. However on rare occasions this is not the case and it does perform an update (although it doesn't state what was updated?). Like I said, if these are signature that needed to be updated and I didn't have them, that is bothersome.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 47

Jump to solution

It'll be fixed soon, I hope.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 47

Jump to solution

With all due respect, I felt compelled to interject and state my opinion. Of course it is annoying experiencing the 'Spinning Arrow'/Polling for updates'. However we as Moderators want the fix to this issue equally as well. Having said this.. We have been bringing up this issue during every 'Conference Call'

You can be self-assured that the Issue (will) be resolved. And in the very near future ( All I can say). The good thing is that there is a 'Work-Around' that assures one that they have the most current 'Engine Version'. To go one step further, all during this time we (all) have been experiencing the same.

Your and my Security has not been compromised.  In other words, please do not 'Shoot the Messenger' if you will.

Regards,

CD.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

I don't think I said anything wrong?

I don't have any connection to McAfee and you moderators appear to. All I was asking for was a date to expect a fix and that I have seen instances where it does update when I start it when it was stalled. This is a problem in those specific instances.

I've tried the suggested work-arounds and they do not solve this situation in my case.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 47

Jump to solution

CD was just pointing out that we are users like yourself so have to go throuight the same issues as others.  The workarounds don't solve it in my case either.   I just ignore the icon issue.  The application updates itself when it wants to and that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Yes the icon is an annoyance but it will pass soon enough.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 26 of 47

Jump to solution

As Cd said "All I can say"  that is it we know the date but we are stopped from mentioning it to any1. Last time we did the patch came out a month or 2 later and boy did every1 complain so the rule we have to follow is never mention a date a fix will come It is coming soon and is working on my beta install now.

cphite
Level 7
Message 27 of 47

Jump to solution

With all due respect I don't believe this is simply an icon issue.

I am seeing the icon appear, and if I let it sit for a couple of hours, it's not until I open the LS application that it actually does anything - this is reflected in the time that get attributed to the update.

A similar issue is occurring with virus scanning.  When a full scan starts on schedule, it gets to about 4 percent or so and then gets paused - the icon shows a pause, and when I open LS the scan is marked as pause.  It's not until I actually click resume that anything more happens with that scan.

In both cases, it appears that the process is somehow dependent on the LS application being open.  This can be confirmed via resource monitor.  When the app isn't open, the update isn't happening; and the same is true for a scan.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 47

Jump to solution

This seems to happen for some I can confirm on my two retail PCs that I could see the daily update happen and get the popup box saying the product has been updated but the shield and blue thingy says installed 100% complete till I open it.

The 14.0.5084 version is released to Au and Kr  servers but throttled so it will take a while to get it if Mcafee installed. A new install will get it straight away. US seems to be set for 5 Oct release.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 47

Jump to solution

As my Colleagues have previously stated, the (Fix) is being throttled as we speak. Personally speaking, I have no issues receiving my daily Automatic Updates/Engine versions. The only annoying issue I have experienced is the 'Spinning Arrow/Polling for updates issue.

This being even after I know that I have been updated. I am running Windows 7 SP1, and receive my updates via the (US) Server. Although it being 'Annoying' it has not effected my Security/Protection. I will as many others await the 'Throttled fix' commencing (October 5th) or earlier.

Wishing you all the best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I still have this and I got an UPDATE yesterday.

Capture.JPG

Worse I am now sure that it isn't an 'icon thing'. A few times I've opened up McAfee and the D/L starts it then installs 'something'. Usually I get the 'up to date' message but not all the time. I'll assume I am not up to date when this happens, and wouldn't be until I manually open and allow it to start.

In another msg it seems I need v14.0.5084 but I'm on a Dell, annoying.

McAfee Support Mobile App Available
With the new McAfee Support Mobile App you’ll be able to update, close, and view service requests on your mobile device. The app will also notify you when one of our technical support engineers update a service request. Download the Android version from Google Play and the iOS version from the Apple App Store today!