Did you mean: 
Highlighted
davehorne
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Update Problem ... check to see if online, if problem persists contact Support

Jump to solution

I just got back from a two week vacation, turned on my computer and McAfee started hogging all my resources.  I closed it down and now when I go to update I receive the message I posted in the subject.

I've also turned the computer completely off and then back on again but no dice.

Will I have to completely uninstall it and reinstall it?  Any other tips?

Thanks, Dave Horne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davehorne
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Re: Update Problem ... check to see if online, if problem persists contact Support

Jump to solution

Peter, while I was waiting for a response, I uninstalled LiveSafe (Windows 8.1) vie the Control Panel and then reinstalled it.  I didn't use the clean up tool and I now see a different interface from what I had. 

At any rate, everything seems to be fine and there are no more error messages.

Thanks, Dave Horne

9 Replies
davehorne
Level 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Update Problem ... check to see if online, if problem persists contact Support

Jump to solution

I should also add that I just now ran the McAfee Virtual Technician and was informed I have no problem.

Do I have a problem if I cannot update ... or not?   Thanks, DH

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Make sure your machine is connected to the Internet and leave it fully powered and logged in for a while.

Run the Virtual Technician a few more times over the next 24 hours or so.

I would imagine the software needs to update at least its AV Engine and that could take a few hours to a day, or two even.

If the problem persists, then uninstall vie Control Panel, Programs and Features, run the MCPR clean-up tool, reboot and reinstall from the online account.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

I forgot to add, a simple check that people often overlook:  Check the system clock for accuracy, day, date  time, time zone etc.

Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Peter M wrote:

I would imagine the software needs to update at least its AV Engine and that could take a few hours to a day, or two even.

Hey Peter

It never takes a day for McAfee to Update, however it might take an hour or two when MS Updates are running simultaneously. An average update to McAfee takes less than 15 minutes to Install (Download time depend on the speed of Internet)

In our case we can try booting Windows to Safe Mode, wait for 10 mins and then reboot to normal mode to see if updates run correctly. This would avoid the hassle of re-installing McAfee.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Chinthanai Selvan P wrote:

Peter M wrote:

Hey Peter

It never takes a day for McAfee to Update, however it might take an hour or two when MS Updates are running simultaneously. An average update to McAfee takes less than 15 minutes to Install (Download time depend on the speed of Internet)

davehorne

In our case we can try booting Windows to Safe Mode, wait for 10 mins and then reboot to normal mode to see if updates run correctly. This would avoid the hassle of re-installing McAfee.

Yes I know, I should perhaps have worded it to include Windows own updates.

davehorne
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Peter, while I was waiting for a response, I uninstalled LiveSafe (Windows 8.1) vie the Control Panel and then reinstalled it.  I didn't use the clean up tool and I now see a different interface from what I had. 

Thanks, Dave Horne

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

davehorne wrote:

Thanks, Dave Horne

Glad you are OK  but I would remember Selvan's tip regarding Safe Mode etc.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Can one of you mark this answered then?

I no longer have that power.

Thanks.

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community