Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Total Protection

Jump to solution

I use Google Chrome  to access several web sites on a regular basis.

I therefore had 8 small icons created by Chrome, such as Amazon, 'my local bank' etc.

Recently on two occasions I got a prompt from McAfee 'Total Protection quick clean' which I confirmed.

( just after another info that web was closing 'to fix something????')

On starting up Chrome I found my 8 icons had vanished and I was left with 'web store extension'

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Total Protection

Jump to solution

Hi @wac 

Please backup the Google Chrome data and uninstall Google Chrome completely and restart your system. Reinstall Google Chrome and import the backed files and please check the issue by running the quick clean (please backup the Google chrome data again before running the quick clean) 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @wac 

We are sorry that 8 icons vanished which was created by Google Chrome after confirming quick clean. Please let us know the McAfee total Protection version installed in you computer.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

I cannot guaranee that it  was TOTAL PROTECTION!

I had bought a 12 month subscription to LifeSafe as part of my new computer package bought in January 2020.

Can you assist me as to the version number?

My invoice from DELL also mentions McAfee(R) 30 day trial.

I believe  my old DELL laptop running Windows 7 also showed similar message from McAfee,which I ignored rather than CONFIRMING. 

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

**** PROBLEM EXPLAINED ***

Since my earlier 'REPLY' above and after being asked for version  I was just looking around.

My earlier reply queried whether it really was 'TOTAL PROTECTION'

Well it is not !!!!

I searched in McAfee Support for 'LiveSafe Quick Clean' and got several hits dating back to 2017 I think.

McAfee appears to have improved the software from the initial problem in that it now asks to CONFIRM.

However further improvements might be possible? Would you agree? please advise

It deleted 'things' (icons) which I wanted to keep 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Open the program and top tab my Info . open this and along bottom choose About. This will show what you have.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for info:

Within LiveSafe there is a Quick Clean &Shredder component.

There was a problem with it in 2017 which was addressed. The user was asked to confirm the deletion of temporary files? It would appear that if the quick Clean runs with no user online at the time then CONFIRM defaults to NO.

I think I should report it to TECHNICAL SUPPORT? I believe I saw something like that.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @wac 

Please backup the Google Chrome data and uninstall Google Chrome completely and restart your system. Reinstall Google Chrome and import the backed files and please check the issue by running the quick clean (please backup the Google chrome data again before running the quick clean) 

View solution in original post

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community