cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious files preventing LiveSafe from re-installing

I have been using McAfee LiveSafe for a couple of years without problems.  Last weekend LiveSafe's Real-Time Scanning feature stopped working.  McAfee support said that the application needed to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.  I was able to uninstall it just fine but kept getting an error message when trying to reinstall it.  I had a remote support session with a McAfee tech support rep.  He tried to reinstall LiveSafe as well but could not.  He then ran GetSusp.  It identified 7 unknown and 2 suspicious files.  He told me that the suspicious files suggested that the computer was infected with a virus and that I should call McAfee's Virus Removal team.  I did contact that team but after they reviewed the 2 suspicious files they said that although they were not infected with a virus that one of those files was probably preventing LiveSafe from installing.  They said that I should remove the files and try installing again.  I don't want to remove files that appear to be in use by other programs.  One of the files is associated with TurboTax that I just installed.  So I suspect that that is the file causing the problem.  It does not really seem possible that the only way that I can install LiveSafe is to remove other programs.  Do you have any suggestions as to how I can install LiveSafe without removing the the other programs?

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Suspicious files preventing LiveSafe from re-installing

I would contact Technical Support back and escalate it. In addition ask them about their (Pledge) and (Total Satisfaction Promise). See Pledge; https://community.mcafee.com/message/432478#432478

Total Satisfaction Promise

Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

I might add that it would be beneficial to provide your (Service Request Number) from your prior session.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community