Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wbbnm
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Real time scanning locks up computer when I open an Excel file

About a week ago I noticed my Dell All in One compute running Windows 8.1 and Excel Office 10 would lock up whenever I opened an Excel file.  The computer locks up for tens of minutes or longer.

I have tracked the problem to McAfee Real Time Scanning using the Task Manager.  The problem goes away when I turn Real Time Scanning off.

I tried entering my common Excel files into the Exclusion list.  They went in okay.  But the computer locked up when I tried to open one.  I checked later and the Exclusion list was empty.

So I want to stop Real Time scanning from locking up my computer when I open Excel files.

I also use Office 10 Word a lot and do not have this problem.

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Real time scanning locks up computer when I open an Excel file

While we await a mod to pass by some thoughts

1.Download and run MVT to see if it sees anything wrong with your install

MVT

2. This a nuisance but try a full uninstall cleanup via the preinstall tool; and reinstall.

How to remove McAfee

Preinstall Tool

Ok found an old solution but for VSE are you using the corporate or consumer product? Should have asked that first.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community