cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Scanning fixing

My Total Protection software has been showing "We're Fixing Real Time Scanning" for several days and it would be nice to know if this is true or simply the massage is false. During this time I've had an ADWARE attack that might have been detected if real time scanning had be operating. If It is true what about an official response from McAfee.n

4 Replies

Re: Real Time Scanning fixing

This I assume is a message in the program and not MVT. Asking as you posted in the Virtual Technician area. I would call support best thing to do either that or do a full uninstall reinstall and hope that fixes things

Moving to Livesafe forum

Support

Uninstall Mcafee software

I made contact with McAfee and it was agreed the best course of action was to uninstall and re install the software. This I did and the programme returned to normal.

Thanks that is the best 1st choice. It is what usually fixes a multitude of issues. I hope everything goes well for you now.

Highlighted
nnnnmm
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

For other readers that have been playing wack-a-mole with realtime scanning (for months now), I'll add that a "safe" way to uninstall/reinstall

For Windows 7 (at least) you'll do best by logging into your Admin account

Start a http://home.mcafee.com

MyAccount->Sign In

emailaddr & password

From the MyAccount screen, select the tab for the computer that needs to be repaired

Inside that tab note

Installed McAfee Apps

McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security via Dell Reinstall

# ------------------ click on that link ---------------^^^^^^^^^^^^

This will bring up other screens, but basically click the first download link you see

Then run software as prompted.

I takes a little over an hour for the whole thing to run (on my admittedly aging laptop)

When I ran it, a pop-error appeared behind the main install panel saying

Can't find m(something).sys

After trying all of the offered "look in here directories" without any luck, I clicked the cancel button

the software then asked, OK to continue, I clicked yes.

The installer continued without complaint.

You are prompted to continue with a restart of your computer, and it will then do some more work after that (10-15 mins? I wasn't watching closely)

I ran a quick scan, nothing found, (Which took close to an hour).

Then rebooted and went to my normal userID and have not seen any of the 'Realtime scanning not running' warnings (for a whole hour now!).

OK, I think I got most of points.

Hope this helps someone

NN MM

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community