cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmcd1708
Level 7

Preinstalled McAfee LiveSafe trial uninstallation

Jump to solution

Hey guys. I recently bought a new Acer Aspire laptop. It came bundled with a McAfee LiveSafe Internet Security trial. I used it's 30-day-trial period and now it's expired. I'm now planning to uninstall it.

I recently searched for an uninstallation guide for the software in McAfee's support page. I came across with this line:

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by your computer manufacturer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before you uninstall them.

I'm confused because I already used up my 30-day-trial period and the trial subscription is expired. I already registered my McAfee software on the McAfee site.

How do I activate my McAfee subscription? Do I need to buy a new subscription just to uninstall it? Or do I just need to register the product on the McAfee site?

Please help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Preinstalled McAfee LiveSafe trial uninstallation

Jump to solution

Hi,

You stated that your Trial Subscription has expired, and now you wish to uninstall it. My concern being is do you have a Active Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware application running now? In other words, no you need not to renew/purchase a new subscription to uninstall it.

You can simply go to your Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall/Restart. Then follow up up by running the latest (MCPR) Tool (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) Tool/Restart to remove remnants that may be left over.  How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

However, I highly recommend that you either renew afterwards, or obtain immediate Protection. For in todays computing environment, it is imperative.

Hope this helps,

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
8 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Hi,

You stated that your Trial Subscription has expired, and now you wish to uninstall it. My concern being is do you have a Active Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware application running now? In other words, no you need not to renew/purchase a new subscription to uninstall it.

You can simply go to your Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall/Restart. Then follow up up by running the latest (MCPR) Tool (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) Tool/Restart to remove remnants that may be left over.  How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

However, I highly recommend that you either renew afterwards, or obtain immediate Protection. For in todays computing environment, it is imperative.

Hope this helps,

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
cmcd1708
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I do not have any other active Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware application running now (only McAfee). Yet, I see Windows Defender installed.but the app is currently turned off (when I tried to run it).

I registered the software on the McAfee site because of the activation thing that I saw in the installation guide.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

May I ask what your OS is Windows 7 Sp1,8/8.1? And are you up to date with all of your Windows Updates,to include Internet Explorer, even if you choose not to use it. McAfee and other important programs do, in order to function properly.

You need to obtain Protection regardless of your choice, to renew or not. That is your prerogative.

Please know that if your subscription has expired,you do not have the latest Virus updates. You can contact Customer Service 24/7 (Free) Via Phone/Chat being more expediate.

When removing your expired McAfee Subscription following the guidelines mentioned. If not renewing,at  least utilize Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows 8/8.1 offers Window Defender, which now has Anti-Virus Capabilities. After uninstalling your expired subscription,if you choose. You can use it.

I recommend after uninstalling to run McAfee Stinger ( Read how to use), followed up by Malwarebytes (Free). To keep it free DO NOT accept any Free trial offers/or activate the Pro Version. The Free Version will suffice. You want to make certain your system is (Clean) before either renewing,or installing other Software.

You can find these Superb Tools here:

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
cmcd1708
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Windows OS is Windows 8.1. My automatic updates are disabled as of the moment yet I plan to turn them on after I uninstall McAfee (along with Windows Defender),

Thanks for the help, Catdaddy. Cheers!

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

After following the Uninstall Guidelines, please immediately "Check for updates" then turn (On) Automatic Updates. This is crucial to keep your system patched for vulnerabilities, no matter the protection you choose to use.

I would in addition advise to Download/Install the Latest Adobe Flash Player ( 15.0.0.189 ) and get current on any additional Add ons/Extensions/Plug-ins etc.

Thank you,

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

BTW...You are more than welcome, that is the reason we are here.

All the best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

If I may ask, did you ever register your account and activate it?  I see now that you did use up your subscription, however you will have to follow the Instructions/Guidelines anyway since you were not Automatically renewed, or if you plan on installing additional software.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Moved appropriately to Livesafe-By Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos