Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamitj
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 110

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution

My notebook is a Dell Inspiron 7000 series with 16 GB or RAM.

I downloaded and installed McAfee Total Security from McAfee website and McAfee Core Service was acting as described by everyone, consuming as much as 60% of CPU and almost 3 GB of RAM.

It was everytime. 100% of time. Always. It Sucked!

Then I followed someone's advise to manually update (RIGHT CLICK ON MCAFEE ICON ON SYSTEM TRAY, CHECK FOR UPDATES). It took almost 15 minutes to download and update, but after that everything was solved.

Everyone should try this method. 

Jump to solution

adamitj, as I already posted a few days ago I also did that... and yes, it seemed to work... but not for long, after a few restarts and some use of the computer... it started to slowly get back to large size memory use and high % in CPU usage. I believe the higher the Memory gets, the higher the CPU % will go, so initially one doesn't notice the CPU% too much, not until Memory gets to a few GBs.

As I have also mentioned previously, the same happens either when updating Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4089848) (I also had to manually look for the update) or totally unistalling the antivirus and installing it back.

We're not the first to experience exactly the same, so it's more than proven there is an issue affecting in the same way to many people. 

Jump to solution

It only fixes the problem temporarily.

dug5y
Level 7
Message 64 of 110

Jump to solution

I'm yet another user who's recently been experiencing exceptionally high memory usage on my PC thanks to the Module Core Service activity (up to 98%!!) - a Dell XPS with Windows 10.  For the last couple of days this has rendered my PC totally unusable as it quickly slows down to a complete stop.  I'm therefore now having to consider disabling the McAfee Virus Scan package on my PC so that I can at least continue to work until this issue is resolved.

stew32
Level 7
Message 65 of 110

Jump to solution

Another me too...Total Protection virus protection is behaving like a virus on my Dell; sucking up ram and cpu. Rebooting doesn't fix this issue for long. I need a fix like yesterday. I can't keep rebooting. I can't end the process or lower its priority. I have paid for software that is killing my computer. Where is the fix???

sam2817
Level 7
Message 66 of 110

Jump to solution
Same here.
Highlighted

Jump to solution
WHY DOES THIS SAY "SOLVED"?! THE PROBLEM MOST DEFINITELY HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED. NEW VICTIMS OF THIS CONTINUING AND CRIPPLING PROBLEM ARE REPORTING IN DAILY.
Tang18
Level 8
Message 68 of 110

Jump to solution

REPORT THE COMMENTS THAT WERE TAGGED AS "SOLVED" AS INNAPROPRIATE CONTENT!

Ade57
Level 8
Message 69 of 110

Jump to solution

On 3/5/18 I posted that this problem was resolved on my Dell Inspiron PC by updating McAfee and Windows 10 (manually).  The recent updates were not coming through automatically for some reason.  Today (3/12/18) the Memory Core Service continues to have low CPU and Memory (0 percent CPU and 0.9 Mb at this moment), although it does float up for a while on startup.  Recommendation: manually check for updates to McAfee and Windows 10.

The indication of "Solution Found" on the post does not seem like a solution.

Jump to solution

Reported. Thank you. I would urge everyone else to report it too.

The lack of action from Mcafee is disgusting. We paid good money for their software and it has caused us more harm than a virus.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.