cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h89
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 56

Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?

Jump to solution

Hello,

This is the second problem I've had with LiveSafe in two weeks and it's just a bit annoying. Now this is a different problem than last week so here is the problem:

I cant open LiveSafe at all, and when I look at the bottom of my screen I see that the Mcafee icon (near the time, volume etc) is saying that it's checking for updates. Now I have updates on automatically so it does this quite alot however this time it is stuck and now like I said I cant open Mcafee Livesafe at all. What should be the first thing I do to try and correct this problem?

If need be I will call LiveSafe technial support again like I did last week, but I would much rather not and just solve this issue on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 56

Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?

Jump to solution

h89 wrote:

Hi Ex_Brit,

I just have a quick question for you. I actually phoned up McAfee Technical Support earlier and they seem to have solved my issue, everything seems to be running fine and finally managed to uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus.

However my question is I see some moderators here saying to run Malware Bytes, but doesn't LiveSafe check for Malware or are you just saying that when LiveSafe doesn't seem to be working properly and just to use that before you try and install LiveSafe again? As I just ran a full scan with LiveSafe and I dont have any problems detected.

Thanks for your help Ex_Brit, Peacekeeper and anyone else who has tried to help me with my issue.

Of course LiveSafe checks for millions of infections that are out there, but we often recommend an extra scan or two.

I usually recommend AdwCleaner andf MalwareBytes Free both from the last link below.

Note it explains how to keep MalwareBytes actually free of charge.

That's great that it appears your problems are solved. by Technical Support.  I  would only reinstall McAfee if it isn't working correctly and nothing mentiioned earlier helped.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

55 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 56

Jump to solution

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can fix whatever it is, probably a bad update download. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If no help then follow the uninstall.cleanup and reinstall routine here:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Make sure Windows is totally up to date, including Internet Explorer, even if you never use it, McAfee does.

If you are in the habit of running registry cleaners, stop as they are often the cause of this kind of problem.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can fix whatever it is, probably a bad update download. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If no help then follow the uninstall.cleanup and reinstall routine here:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Make sure Windows is totally up to date, including Internet Explorer, even if you never use it, McAfee does.

If you are in the habit of running registry cleaners, stop as they are often the cause of this kind of problem.

One thing here... when Chat Support re-installed McAfee for me they paste in a pre-made URL. I got my version via Dell with the computer. The above referenced link says "DELL users, go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105."

When I go there I need to login and see these screens:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.jpg

IRV8700 is my computer, the XPS8700 is the 'old' name.

Note that LS and SK are two different d/l's. When Chat Support installed me again BOTH were installed?

Does Dell have a different version? Could this be part of the problem? However it would NOT explain why this is happening all of a sudden.

NOTE: After my last post here I had to reboot. I did NOT open or try to open McAfee. Sometime between me opening FF to compose this message and now Thunderbird no longer can fetch my e-mail.... sigh...

WHAT IS GOING ON!!! I am totally frustrated here!!! Now I need to reboot again... wait, TB just got the mail... I wouldn't think it is my ISP having a problem but who knows? Still, I'm NOT going to try and open McAfee.

One other comment, unlike H89 when I hover my mouse over the Systray McAfee icon it always seems to show "McAfee Live Safe - Internet Security". I've never seen anything else?

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 56

Jump to solution

Best wait for the technician, but to me it sounds like somehow the VS scan has got stuck in Windows Scheduler somehow, which it shouldn't be doing of course.

Without reading the entire thread I assume you've run the Virtual Technician a few times?

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

I fully sympathize with you.  My SecurityCenter v14 has been trying to update for the last 2 hours unsuccessfully, very frustrating.

Addressing once again the original thread subject, sometimes update servers crash or the connection to them gets lost.  In such situations, reboot and see if that helps.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

Best wait for the technician, but to me it sounds like somehow the VS scan has got stuck in Windows Scheduler somehow, which it shouldn't be doing of course.

Without reading the entire thread I assume you've run the Virtual Technician a few times?

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

I fully sympathize with you.  My SecurityCenter v14 has been trying to update for the last 2 hours unsuccessfully, very frustrating.

Addressing once again the original thread subject, sometimes update servers crash or the connection to them gets lost.  In such situations, reboot and see if that helps.

I can't see it in Task Scheduler though?

VT will run IF I can open McAfee. If I can't it just circles around trying to initialize.

Right now I'm 1/2 dead. I can use the computer, CPU usage is well below 1% generally. However FF, IE, and TB have problems. Actually they DO work, it just takes them a LONG time to do anything with the Internet. FF will just say connecting on the tab but given enough time it fills it in. I'm sure something is hung and holding onto some resource (my bet is MVS of course). Task Manager and Process Explorer, as well as WinPatrol, doesn't seem to show anything I can relate to being this?

Of course rebooting 'fixes' the MVS problem, but only temporarily. It quickly returns. I'm tired of doing this.

One interesting point. I've been using Mail Washer Pro 'forever'. It goes to my POP3 server and gets in new messages. Using white and black filters it categorizes e-mails. I can then use that app to report SPAM and delete some I don't want. Works well for me. Once I've done this it will start TB and then within TB I can get the 'rest' of the e-mail. However TB can't access the POP3 server immediately. It takes a few minutes before it can. Makes NO sense at all other than I know McAfee does connect to my e-mail client. Which leads me to believe MY problem is that MVS is holding up the works here!

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 56

Jump to solution

I have no idea what's going on there.  If it were my machine I'd simply format and reinstall Windows, but then I have the media to do that.   With Dell I'm never sure.

Wait for the technician and see what he/she says.

Although I have Windows 8.1, I use it only for testing stuff and it isn't my main OS.

So I really don't know too much about it, except I dislike it intensely despite numerous hacks to make it look and behave like Windows 7.

There's a good Windows 8 help forum here:  Windows 8 Forums who can help you with OS issues.

But I would wait to see what happens with the support people.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

There's a good Windows 8 help forum here:  Windows 8 Forums who can help you with OS issues.

But I would wait to see what happens with the support people.

I don't think this is a Windows problem so I'll not look there. Even if it is, somehow it is McAfee that is the main problem. I am NOT alone with this problem as you can see. I must say 99% of the time I NEVER try to open McAfee so if others are like me it might be a long time before they notice this IF opening McAfee is the trigger here. Like I said, if I don't try to open it I 'usually' do NOT see the problem.

Waiting for a support call here, should have happened 2 hours ago, has not as yet.

I'm running out of time here, we're off Thur. morning for 2 weeks. I may have to pick this up after I return so if you don't hear from me, that is why (10AM Tues. here now).

You should remember me, I'm the one with the Thunderbird RTS problem waiting for a fix

I tell you, I'm almost ready to DUMP McAfee. My wife has a 5 license copy of Norton Security and doesn't have THIS problem (but does have another one). Only reason I have McAfee is because it came with the Dell... I'd like to stay with it, but this and the RTS problem makes me wonder why? Especially since it can't seem to be fixed. With only 2 of us with this problem it can't be a high priority, but the RTS problem has been going on for a LONG time with no resolution. Doesn't give me warm fuzzies on this problem at all.

I do keep backups and I can go back up to a month ago. I'll lose some info (nothing important) but I have NO assurance this problem will not appear again, either with an update or I never knew I had it before?

As you might be able to tell I am very frustrated over this and the lack of 'ownership' by support. They bail once it is working, but it soon fails again. They use a band-aid approach, fix the symptom of it not running buy re-booting or re-installing, NEVER trying to locate or solve the root problem.

Jump to solution

Well, here is where I stand now...

I have NOT tried to open McAfee from the Systray since I rebooted. EVERYTHING appears to be working fine, IE, FF (I am on it now), and TB. No problems that would make me think something is wrong.

Before this reply I decided to run Malwarebytes again and then try MVT. NO infections were found BUT MVT doesn't run.

Screenshot:

Capture3.JPG

MVT just sits there and has been for 20 minutes. I am CONVINCED if I try to open McAfee from the Systray IE, FF, and TB will degrade in usage.

Oh, I see I just got an e-mail from McAfee about a SURVEY... I will let them KNOW my displeasure.

BTW it is 11AM now, I supposed to be called to continue DEBUG by now. Didn't happen, figures...

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 56

Jump to solution

I'll alert a technician to post in this thread.   Maybe he'll have an idea.

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

I'll alert a technician to post in this thread.   Maybe he'll have an idea.

Thanks...

I couldn't reply here without rebooting. FF refused to load the page and I didn't want to wait. Again, only 3 programs seem to be hindered, FF, TB, and IE. From what I can tell ALL other internet apps work fine, including all the Win8 Live apps if I want to use them. Strange, but I've NOT figured out the failure mechanism yet. It is clearly related to McAfee though.