cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Torp
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

McAfee scanning my home network for devices automatically?

Hey guys, got a quick question about my McAfee software (McAfee LiveSafe version 16.0):

I recently reinstalled my Windows OS on my Laptop and McAfee Livesafe along with it. When I opened McAfee afterwards and clicked the "Privacy" tab, it displayed the following message:

"We found 2 more devices we can protect.

We can look after your smartphone, tablet, laptop and more under your current antivirus protection."

The thing is, I know that I had consciously turned off all other devices in my house that are able to connect to my WiFi network during this time, so I don't know what devices are being spoken of here. Unless of course somebody has intruded my network.
Also, when I clicked on the prompt, it didn't give me any information as to what devices it had found, but instead just the offer to enter my email adress to register my McAfee software and receive a download link.

So does McAfee actually automatically scan one's home network for unprotected/other devices? Was the notice that there are 2 other devices in my network legit? Or is this just some generic message to convince you to use McAfee software on more devices? (Maybe the "2 more devices" refers to the possibility of also installing it on a smartphone and tablet?)

Also, if I chose the option to "Trust network" (under the Privacy tab -> My network), I assume I would be able to take a look at these devices in my network, right? But would I also make myself vulnerable to attacks from these potential intruders by telling McAfee that they are within my "trusted" space?

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply
Moderator ymdfarhan
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee scanning my home network for devices automatically?

Hello @Torp

McAfee has a feature called McAfee Home Network which is populated based on the devices that are connected on your network. You can open McAfee Home Network and see the device type, its IP address, confirm if it is your device and then trust the device if it is indeed your device, or you can mark that device as an intruder.

The alert from McAfee saying there are 2 devices that you can protect is pulled from the McAfee Home Network, which kicks in when you install McAfee on a device and it scans the network to populate the network map.

Regards
Farhan

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Support Mobile App Available
With the new McAfee Support Mobile App you’ll be able to update, close, and view service requests on your mobile device. The app will also notify you when one of our technical support engineers update a service request. Download the Android version from Google Play and the iOS version from the Apple App Store today!