cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee installed Vaults on my computer WITHOUT my permission and now I cant uninstall -

A recent up date of McAfee LiveSafe created a folder called Vautls.

I did NOT give permission for this intrusion on my personal hard drive.

It asks for a set a security questions to access which I cant answer as I didn't take part in setting this up?

Who in any sort of customer orientated company would have thought of doitn something so crass and unhelpfull.

The I find out from variour forums that the only way to get rid of this folder is to UNINSTALL Live Safe!

If this is true then you can be sure I will uninstall Live Safe and will never re-install it or any other McAfee product. And I am a long terms users of many years.

Please correct this blunder by you at the earliest opportunity and make available a toll which will allow imposed upon customers to get rid of this  aggressive and unwarrented intrustion into customers computer set up.

Thanks

10 Replies
Magesh
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: McAfee installed Vaults on my computer WITHOUT my permission and now I cant uninstall -

Hi @crosscustomer 

We apologize for the inconvenience. As previous McAfee version comes with a personalization view to set up certain features manually if we need. 

In the recent McAfee version 16.0.29  File lock (McAfee vaults)  AntiSpam, App boost will auto install upon first update, making the features instantly available for set up and use with least effort. 

McAfee Vault (File Lock ) is a feature which is included in the subscription package and as of now there is no possible option to remove that separately. 

Thanks,

Bob3
Level 8
Message 3 of 11

Re: McAfee installed Vaults on my computer WITHOUT my permission and now I cant uninstall -

Like that guy said, what brain trust thought it was an awesome idea to push options that not only do some people don't want, but CANNOT REMOVE?

It looks like a trend with mcafee toward arrogance. Like mcafee producing popups that look like spam or click-here-and-get-infected popups, and mcafee says "look for grammatical errors in the fake ones"... so mcafee's defense is that they HOPE the bad guys make sloppy popups? Really?

Another thing is Mcafee's forced "your secure search is off" every 90 days notification. Even people who don't need/want secure search has to deal with this stupid message and CAN'T turn it off, and mcafee's response is "its designed so you can't turn it off".

Hate on your customers enough, and we'll go away.

mcmv50
Level 8
Message 4 of 11

I am in the same boat.  May I remind McAfee that we are their customers, not their employees?  We are not here to do as we are told we are here to avail ourselves of a product AS DESCRIBED and this product was not described as it is now when I purchased it.

Another user placed some code on one of the forums to copy/paste into a command line to disable File Lock.  I tried this and yes, it works - for a few minutes till McAfee says 'Downloading' and then reinstates File Lock in the 'ON' position.

Dear Mister McAfee, if you intend to include these features then at least have the good manners to give us the option of turning it on or off as we see fit.

BTW I'm running a cheap version I got from Argos and File Lock was not included in this, however after reinstalling because of a real Time Scanning fault this thing appeared without me asking.,

I want rid of this or of McAfee.

JimChw
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

To add insult to injury

• They put it in the one place I access constantly
  • They brand it with an icon that's hard to ignore

It's a constant, irritating reminder that my preferences are not important.

I'm having the same problem as you mcmv50, but McAfee will not respond. Now I'm waiting for a call back within 24 to 48 hours, now been close to 17 hours...

I agree.
Robalong10
Level 8
Message 8 of 11

Exactly!

No sorry, I tried to uninstall the entire McAfee Live Safe, using their tool as well. Got rid of the antivirus software, but I still have the folder of Vault on my computer...

Thanks for the update. It's still in my "This PC" folder, and it's a new kind of file-structure concoction, which doesn't behave like a classic folder. It seems to be harmless, except that one sees it all of the time, and it reminds us that outsiders are chipping away at our sovereign control of our PC's file system.

My most difficult problem, though, is the Microsoft corruption of the formerly smooth-running Windows 7 MS Paint. Windows 10 Paint still doesn't run with 100% of the features available in Windows 7 Paint. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community