cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Real-Time Scanning prevents file access

I have been having this problem for some time. At times after logon, when i try to open a file in my drive it pops up a windows error dialog saying 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.'

Earlier, i used to solve this by restarting my system and everything would be back to normal. I thought it was just a glitch or someting due to any windows updates. But it started popping out more frequently that i had to find the cause for this issue. And then i figured out that somehow the Real-Time scanning feature in McAfee was causing this all along. I confirmed it by accessing the file(tried with my personal image and document files) by turning the feature ON and OFF. I was able to access the file when it was set to OFF. Now i really don't have any idea as of why this popup occurs and i do not know if it has to do with any setting/changes i had made inside of McAfee. I require support/solution for solving this as of what had gone wrong with my system. And thanks in advance.

Note: when this popup occurs, it occurs for .jpg .png images and .pdf documents (so far) in both of my hdd/ssd drives. It does not occur for any video or .txt files. The only workaround i have been trying is to restart the system (or) turning OFF the real-time protection when i need a file to be accessed.

1 Reply
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee Real-Time Scanning prevents file access

Hello @Arul_Prakash_V 

We are sorry that the issue occurs when Real Time Scan is On. Please try reinstalling the program and also update Windows and check if it resolves the issue or not. Follow the steps below,

• Uninstall McAfee
  • Ensure you run the MCPR tool provided in the Article post uninstalling from Control Panel
  • Restart the computer
  • Check if there are any pending Windows updates
  • Ensure its up to date
  • Restart again
  • Run McAfee Malware Tool
  • Restart again and perform Installation

Regards,
Madhan M

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community