cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

Please to know it works for you. The issue for me is that I knew about this option (which by the way is always enabled by default in Windows 10), and then checked if it was enabled and guess what: it was and still is on my laptop. And for this Acer laptop, it does not work at all. After months by now, the only way I can use the laptop normally is to start it but not log-in before waiting for about 30mn. It is funny, but during that time, the cursor is showing alternatively the arrow and sandbox giving the fact that something is working. After a while, it stay still (±30mn on my laptop) and at that time, i just log in as usual and I have no issue anymore with mmsshost.exe. Regularly I do not use this process and everytime, the laptop hangs up. Then I shutdown, restart after these 30mn and then the laptop works as normal.

Anyway, succes to you if the described process works.

Thanks

LGH50
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 92 of 193

Sorry to hear it does not work for everyone.

In my case the problem is more severe when connected to internet by Ethernet wire. Things get a lot better when deactivating the Ethernet adapter and using only WiFi. Still, sometimes the CPU usage takes off to nearly 100% but, after a few minutes, magically drops to normal levels.

I also tried disconnecting completely from internet during startup. It helps, most of the time.

So, something for the McAfeee folks to ponder when looking for the bug in the code.

Thanks for your answer. Yesterday I retried your formula by 1st deselecting the option and start again the laptop (that gave even more wait time), and then I reselected the 'Fast Startup" option to see if this would better work, but bad luck for me it did not helped. I will try to test your last try regarding the option to fully deselect the laptop from the Internet and see if it works for me. You never know, and if it helps, that would give a new tip to McAfee to understand the issue.

Zain1
Level 7
Message 94 of 193

I may have found a temporary fix. Just open McAfee and let it run minimised. It seemed to work for me.

And again, not sure about this message but you never know. After having tried many , many options which did not work (except the only one I am using till last December: start the laptop, do not login prior ±30mn), today I had a chat with a guy from the McAfee Support team and guess what, after a few minutes having discuused about the issue and tried all workarounds McAfee told me to tried, he gave me that tip: uninstall McAfee with a tool I had to download from their own site and after that see what happen. So I did it, uninstall that piece of s/w, re-install it and so far the issue has gone. I have closed the laptop and restarted it at least five times and the issue did not (yet) come back. I will see again tomorrow morning and give you all the status. The link to the un-install tool is : http://us.mcafee.com/apps/mdm/en-us/8.7_asp/getmcsubdbtool.asp

Visje
Level 9
Message 96 of 193

I know this tool. 😞

Last december I uninstalled McAfee using this tool and made sure everything was uninstalled. rebooted the computer, and installed McAfee again. All was great for about a week or so.

Then slowly trouble kicked in again, until my computer was, again, turned into a XT.

Hope it works for you, but I'm running without McAfee for 2 weeks now. Playing WoT and Fortnite, without any troubles. Enabled Windows Defender and Firewall. Work like a charm.

Thanks to you for this message. Just started the Laptop this morning and logged-in immediately and like you mention in your post, my Laptop started to work without that McAfee issue. mmsshost.exe running at less than 1% (I do monitor it using a piece of s/w called "Process Hacker 2". 

I will monitor it daily and report any change if happening.

Lin1006
Level 7
Message 98 of 193

PC rebooted last night - and all of a sudden I am having this issue as well.  CPU usage so high can't do anything.  What happened last night that would cause this?  I am going to remove McAfee - tried to go to task manager and end task but it won't - don't know if that is because it's taking so long due to cpu usage or it jsut doesn't want to go away 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 99 of 193

I am having the same issue after a reboot yesterday.

What is the cause?  An uninstall tool surely isnt the answer?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 100 of 193

Ok to be fair the SubDBFix.exe fix was quick to run and then reboot.

Would like to know what is causing the issue however!