Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visje
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 81 of 193

Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

I'm having this problem for months now. I've read this posts over and over again. Uninstalled Live Safe, reinstalled it. That seemed to help... for about a day or two and then the problems started over again.

My problem (the one that is really annoying) is that I'm unable to play audio and video. My daughter watches youtube a lot... That's almost not possible anymore. I like to play World of Tanks... not possible.

After reinstalling LifeSafe everything is fine for a couple of dats and slowly the machine grinds to a halt, especially with video and gaming..

When I disable the firewall and scanner everything works fine again.
I've reinstalled this ... this.... what should I call a scanner that prevent normal computer use? ... thing 3 times now.

I tried to get a tech in the chat... Calling is not an option, McAfee does not seem to care about their clients and support is only available when I'm at work. I almost succeeded once, but after being in the queue for 20 minutes  I gave up....

Beginning of the month was hopefull. The problem were gone! All by themselfs. Too bad iy's back again.
Watching a video and the taskmanager next to it was funny to see.  Video started to act weird... Management Service of McAfee was using 60%+. What is that thing doing?

It's about time McAfee came with a solution.

Agree with you (an unhappy customer). A few weeks ago, we were getting daily messages now almost nihil! I do believe they are waiting for us to quit this forum issue.

Hallo Peacekeeper. Are you on holidays?. Not ill I hope. We do not see any messages from you on this subject for weeks now.

Visje
Level 9
Message 84 of 193

Not only Peacekeeper seems to be lacking attention for this problem, Catdaddy could also try and give us a hand. ( He pushed it up the line ?! Yeah, and now, sit and wait?)

But I think that McAfee themselves should acknowledge the problem and give us some guidelines, or at least let us know they are working on it.

It started early december. Seemed to be gone around the time of the update where I didn't get to see the so called statistics at startup, but it back all over again.

Trying to get help from McAfee themselves doesn't seem to job. Only available during business hours ?! and queueing people for 20 minutes or more. Thought I would get some support for the amount of money I've spent over the years on this crappy product

Bressa
Level 7
Message 85 of 193

I had the same issue earlier in Jan and uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee but a few weeks later now and i’m Back to 97-100% CPU usage by mmsshost.exe and machine unusable. Reboots are really slow and trouble remains. Can’t stop Service or modify service startup in task manager. On HP Pavilion laptop on Windows 10
Visje
Level 9
Message 86 of 193

Is there anyone from McAfee reading these forums?
This problem exists for quite some time now...

Nobody from McAfee took the time to help.
You should try getting tech support... only if you pat more than the 90 euro's a year!!

Just read the messages below (Selvan asking for support from McAfee users). I got a personal request which I answered positively on the same day 30/01/2018. We are now 2 weeks further and NO reply at all. I made my choice by now, I have payed the s/w for over a year, but when this will end, I will definitively switch over to an other supplier. No matters what happen right now. I have been working for a major US Technical Company for over 30 years, but we/I never treated the customer that way. Let's them collapse.

--------------------------------------------------

Date: 01-30-2018 07:32 AM

To: besoindaide

Hello besoindaide,

You have received a private message in the McAfee Support Community community.

MMSSHOST.ex high CPU usage regarding

Hi Am Selvan from Tech Support. I'd like to collect logs from your PC so that we can continue our investigation on this issue. The logs are basically McAfee and Windows related events which will be collect using McAfee log collection tool (Mclogcollect). For more details on the process see https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101980 Regards Selvan Tier 2.5 Technician

To:  selvan

Sent: ‎01-30-2018 08:58 AM

Read: ‎01-30-2018 01:39 PM

Ignore

Re: MMSSHOST.ex high CPU usage regarding

Hi Selvan.

Looks quite complex but why not trying it. I will read the document very carefully to see if I need other instructions/help. One thing you need to remember is that as soon as I start the Laptop, after a few sec/min, it will hang-up as per the issue discribed in this forum. It means that applying the steps of the given process will be slow if they run at all. You also must tell me who and how the data will be collected as I am not 100% free here (The Netherlands). Give me please some more notes about the process if you can. That should help.

Paul C (Jan 30,2018 @ 17:57)

Visje
Level 9
Message 88 of 193

It's just unbelievable.

After two weeks of silence.... more silence?
Does McAfee even care about their customers? I have uninstalled this piece of crap and now defender is running, just to see if I get the same problems, but guess what... Everything works just fine.

I'll install (for the 4th of 5th time) Live Safe next weekend again and then we'll see.
I've giving Live Safe (McAfee) a fair chance then. But when my computer turn into a XT again.. McAfee flies out of the window.

Crappy service, crapy product so far.

Di dnot know what was going on with my computer this past few months.  My laptop was getting so hot I have to shut down all the time.  Finally a friend looked and my computer is running at 98% CPU.  Interferes with everything I am doing.  There is no way that it is only happening to 12 people.

Would like a resolution to this.

LGH50
Level 7
Message 90 of 193

I have the same problem, and I have followed this thread for some time. I'm really surprised McAfee has not already fixed it. And, they should be too proud to claim it affects only a few users (thereafter ignored). 

The problem apparently affects different products, featuring some identical/flawed code.

I have found a way to live with the problem for a little while longer, without burning my CPU chip, and before uninstalling McAfee. My "fix" may help others, and even help the McAfee folks to understand the heart of the matter.

I have a standard Windows 10 setup, on a standard laptop PC. I uninstalled some semi-compatible apps carried over from Windows 7 and 8, but that made no difference.

When I do a restart of the system, the problem always appears. Doing a regular shutdown, followed by a regular startup, usually succeeds, i.e., the Management Service Host settles down to a low level of CPU activity. Notably, the Windows  "Fast start"" option must be activated. If the "Fast start" option is deactivated, then a shutdown - startup cycle yields the same high CPU state as a restart.

The crucial difference is that in a restart cycle, and in a shutdown-startup cycle without "Fast  start" enabled, all data is read from the disk. A normal shutdown, with Fast start enabled, is like a semi-hibernation, where data is carried over to the next restart.

I have no clue why this works, but it does. The normal fix for all issues - a restart - is exactly the wrong thing to do here.

This means that anything interfering with the data carry-over from shutdown to startup will lead to high CPU usage when the computer is started. This includes all kinds of crashes, or shutting down before the computer has settled and disk activity approaches zero. (The key background activity, collecting data for "Fast start" appears to be "Superfetch").

I also take care to close all windows before shutting down, since open apps are also carried over to the next startup, complicating matters and increasing the chances of a failed startup.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community