cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

My PC started doing this a few days ago, it's getting really annoying.  Seems to be related to real-time scanning based on my observations, like when a new email arrives in Outlook, McAfee Management Service host grabs the CPU for about 30 seconds and makes my high-spec PC chug until it's done.  Also happens when a video starts playing in my browser, for example my PC was fine, I go to YouTube, click on a random video, all fine - Then I click the play button for the video, McAfee Management Service host grabs the CPU for about 30 seconds, chug, chug, chug.  I have the latest version, 16.0 R10.

Interestingly, when I disconnected from the internet the problem solved itself,

Could be a coincidence though

Hi i have a simular problem with msshost.exe

pc run normlay fime if i do not touch the mouse when i do every thing even simple mp3 play shutters and constantly hangs.

if i check taskmanager i shows msshsot at the top with high cpu useage levels.\

hardware specs 

I7 6700k 

16GB ddr4 ram 

256GB samsung evo 840 ssd 

RX480 8gb gpu 

windows 10 pro 1709 build version 16299.371

mcafee live safe version 16 R16.0 

security center version 17 build 17.0.126

MSSHSOT.EXE file version 1.0.102.0 

with windows 7 and other windows 10 mashines i dont not have this isues in combination with mcafee live safe.

Just thought I'd post an update.

The issue that I've been having seems to have stopped over the last few days. I haven't done anything to resolve this but I noticed earlier this week that I could use the mouse on the laptop again. I've checked on Task Manager and McAfee Management Service Host is still running now and then but taking up far less CPU usage.

Hopefully things stay this way but can I say that the way that this has been handled (or not handled) will be taken into account when I come to renew my subscription.

Just checked, not sure if a coincidence but Windows ran an update on my laptop on 8 May. The references are KB4103727 and KB4103729

3 days ago I reported (elsewhere on the forum) that: 

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

/*! $FileVersion=1.1.129 */ var engine_fileVersion = "1.1.129";

My problem is the McAfee Management Service Host using all available CPU time, typically over 90%

Is there a solution for this yet as it has been doing this all week!

As I could not stop McAfee running and could not get online I ended up locating a 2009 copy of  MCPR.exe from my old Computer Troubleshooting business - it stopped working after at arounf 90% so I closed it and was then able to delete the McAfee folders and files.

I am now using Windows Defender until I hear from McAfee that this problem is solved.

PS. I started using McAfee AV within a few months of it initial release in the mid 1980's. Then when the boxed version bacame available here in New Zealand I was the Auckland sales & support representative from 1992 until McAfee merged with another International company 20 (?) years later.

I still prefer to use it as it is  provided as a bonus with my Fibre broadband supplier and have never had a problem as serious as this one..  

So bring on the fix! 

Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 136 of 193

@Everyone

The problem with MMSHOST process using up CPU resources is expected to be resolved in McAfee version 16.0 R12

Kindly confirm status.

Thanks Selvan,

And factually, this is the 1st time that we do get the confirmation that this was a "McAfee" issue and that it has taken over a half year to get the official confirmation.

The release has been installed yesterday 29 on my PC. I will follow-up and report the status on this forum.

Fortunately, next time we will get a better, official comm from McAfee instead of having to publish our frustration on the community.

Anyway thanks to all who have been (almost) so patient, like me!

I am running version 16.0 R12 and it did not resolve the issue for me. McAfee Management Service Host still consistantly pops to the top of my CPU usage list in Task Manager andddddddddddddddddddddddddddd freezes other operations on my computer. As you can see it also repeats keystrokes if I type while that is going on. Really frustating if you happen to hit the back key while McAfee takes over.

Highlighted

Didn't work for me. Version 16.0R12 and still McAfee Mangement Service Host consuming a lot of CPU, causing other software to almos hang. This is particularly annoying when listening to music.... it causes music to slow down and afterwards to speed up!!!

Come on McAfee!!! Solve this already!!!

ive been paying mcaffee over the phone 7 yrs never had an issue

with my subscription , until a month ago.  win7 / desktop pcc

sound started stuttering on videos i thought it was my browser

which was lagging very badly. skype calls where so bad it sounded

like slow motion stuttering .

re installed mcaffee today from website McAfee version 16.0 R12

and its still same cpu usage ranging from 0.01 to 45 cpu usage .

if this dont get fixed cancelling

my 7 yr sub and moving on.

tony.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community