cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

Suddenly, my Notebook slowed down.  Barely was able to open Task Manager ->High CPU.   Did a quick Google on my phone and found this forum.  I uninstalled McAfee and have Defender going.  Hesitating whether to re-install McAfee.  I think I have an extra copy of Norton too.  Maybe I will try that.

Tags (1)

So I reinstalled McAfee and it seems it running ok now (no high CPU McAfee Management Service host).  I will monitor it the next few days.  We will see what happens.

Highlighted

Just for info (posted on the other forum item, referring to the same issue):

“Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

Question: Is everyone updated to 16.0 R10 and seeing this problem? Please let me know (Selvan, Moderator)”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My answer: Yes, both the Home PC and my laptop have been upgraded to 16.0 R10 (between April 09 and 24 for some components). Checking daily the performance and currently no problem observed with the known issue.

Just for information, on the laptop, where I originally did report the ‘mmsshost’ issue, I decided last week to re-install completely the Win 10 S/W after that an issue was blocking some important updates (issue known and reported on the Microsoft Website). It has costed days to restore the laptop as I did not know that re-installing Win 10 would have an impact on many other applications that were also deleted from the laptop (no loss of personal data however)!

Starting with a fresh laptop/Win10 combination, I have then re-installed the McAfee Total Protection. For the second day by now, no ‘mmsshost’ issue has reoccurred yet. I will keep monitoring and reporting the status on this forum.

I am also having this issue on my work laptop.

From reading this thread, It is quite apparent that McAfee has no interest in responding to this issue.

Accordingly, I will be canceling my subscription and switching to software that doesn't disable my computer.

As an aside, I used to use a VPN called Tunnelbear.  I used it for several years with no problem at all.  The past month or so I had no end of problems getting reliable connections.  On researching it, I discovered that McAfee had recently bought Tunnelbear.  Maybe it's a coincidence, but McAfee's purchase coincided with the problems I'd been having.  I ended up canceling Tunnelbear and found an alternative.

Same here.  Got fed up 'cause seems to be no cure so dumped McAfee for the competition.  PC now 10 times faster at launching programs!

onalee
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 126 of 193

I'm having this problem too. I'm just about ready to uninstall mcafee. I can't work like this! It takes over my computer frequently, can't type, can't move the mouse, can't do anything! Is there a cure for this! If not, this is being uninstalled. 

Dunder
Level 7
Message 127 of 193

High CPU problem solved: uninstalled McAfee. Rectifed all slowness issues including stalling and buzzing videos. Now trying other security software

I have this issue too. It's really getting on my dots. It seems to go like this: start laptop (from sleep mode), starts up OK, everything slows sown to a halt for between five and ten minutes. Mouse useless - using an external mouse better but still awful. Checking on task manager and often McAfee Management Service Host is running taking the CPU usage up to 100%. Once that disappears from view the laptop starts working again. Work on whatever on laptop - MS Word, for instance. Change to another application (maybe check something on the Internet), laptop grings to halt again.

This is the second year of McAfee. Last year it worked just fine. This year it has been ok until about a month ago and now it is awful. I can't believe that more investigation is not performed into this. I just want protection for my laptop that is plug 'n' play. I will not be using McAfee in the future. Please investigate this issue with the priority that it deserves. Whilst only 34 people have stated that they have this issue - that is 34 people who have taken the time to log in, create an account (oh, and find this thread).

Lots of love and kisses

xx

Re: McAfee Management Service Host High CPU Usage

I am also having this problem. My software is fully up-to-date but sometimes the McAfee Management Service Host ramps up to 99% CPU usage, meaning everything freezes.

It only happens occasionally, I used to just end the process in task manager but that doesn't seem to fix it any more.

MadUser
Level 7
Message 130 of 193

I'm leaving too. They've had plenty of time to fix this. Very annoying. They should have put out a patch by now.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community