cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

I googled this problem. My CPU usage was so high it was hard to use any other apps.

I hate McAfee.

So I powered down and rebooted 3X. It took me a while for this task to go down to 0 or 1 percent.

Any ideas on how to stop this? I'm on LiveSafe and am considering uninstalling McAfee and eating the $40.

Thanks,

192 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 193

Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

OK we have a few users with ram usage issues here

Post there as well as the techs are asking for users to help them get logs of the issue as they have not seen it.

in-eng
Level 7
Message 3 of 193

I have the same issue, MMSSHOST.exe is constantly operating at over 97% CPU,

shutting down and rebooting makes no difference, in fact, a restart can sometimes take over 60 minutes !

surely MMSSHOST is meant to run in the background, not take over the PC completely ?

John

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 193

Please see Post #41.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Rbugg49
Level 7
Message 5 of 193

I’ve been having this problem for a couple of months now, rebooting doesn’t work, but shutting down for a period > 30 minutes seems to delay it restarting. 

Have screenshots of task manager showing overall usage, as well as MMSSHOST dumps from task manager. 

Please let me know if McAfee techs want to look at them. Have about 12 occurrences over the past 3 weeks.

Just for information,

The situation today is for me as this:

1- I got a PC workstation, running the same win10 s/w and McAfee application. This unit was never and still is not affected.

2- I also have a laptop with same s/w versions, this is the one that got affected from the win10 creator update. As soon as the update was running, the McAfee issue started from early December with mmsshost hanging up as high as 90%+.

From the time I ran that piece of s/w provided by a McAfee tech (the SubDBFix.exe) on the laptop, the issue has not yet reoccured for almost three weeks by now. It looks like this is only valid for a direct McAfee subscription and not for s/w installed as part of a bundle.

Next week, I will uninstall completely the McAfee Total Protection s/w from the laptop and then reinstall it just for the fun, and see if the issue reoccurs or not!

Highlighted
bjm
Level 7
Message 7 of 193

I've seen references to getting logs to help diagnose those - anyone know how?

kort75
Level 7
Message 8 of 193

I dont understand ... what should I do?

bjm
Level 7
Message 9 of 193

What are the steps for generating such logs?

Ravi1
Level 8
Message 10 of 193

Not few but lot.