cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee Management Service Host causing huge cpu lag spikes

This didn't start happening until about two weeks ago, other then that, McAfee has been working fine for almost two years on my laptop. Anyway, what happens is that McAfee Management Service Host will occationally jump up to 15-30% cpu usage, and then quicly go back down. However, most of the time, this other windows process called "Service Host: Local Service (No Network)" will also jump to 10-25% cpu usage, and when it does, all hell breaks loose. I get stuck with about 30 seconds of my computer running at 5 fps and causing any sound to completely glitch out. I listen to alot of music and so I've noticed that after this happens my music will suddenly speed up. I've seen other post about it using 90% of peoples CPUs but for me its not, its only using 15-30%. Its very strange and SUPER annoying, especially if I'm playing a game. I'm pretty sure I have the latest verion of all the McAfee things, most say they were last updated 6/8/18 with some earlier/later but still around the same time.

Labels (1)
3 Replies
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Management Service Host causing huge cpu lag spikes

Hi

The problem with McAfee Management Service Host using up CPU was solved in McAfee Version 16.0 R12 (Security Center version 17.2.124). Looks like we are seeing the problem with the different Service other than McAfee Management Service Host - please confirm

Even with the update, MMSSHOST.exe is still using a large amount of CPU at times, making my computer unusable at times due to the lag. 

I'm about ready to switch anti-virus providers.

This is definitely MMSSHOST.exe causing intermittent CPU drain.  It interrupts and lags my music and video streams.