cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Management Service Host High CPU Usage

Hello,

Today I started up my PC and began to do my day to day tasks and notice my PC was rather slow. I checked my task manager and saw that my CPU was at 100% at first I thought it could be my applications but then I saw the highest usage was McAfee Management Service Host. This has led to my PC freezing at random points and making it pretty much useless.

If anyone has a fix for this please help me.

Thank you for reading this post.

Product: McAfee LiveSafe

34 Replies
Highlighted

Re: McAfee Management Service Host High CPU Usage

I also have that problem that you describe for some weeks, and the solution that the McAfee support team has given me still does not solve the problem and they are not interested in solving it

My installed product is Total Protection. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the product as I have been asked, three times, but it is not resolved.Mcafee takes over 100% of the resources in a process that they do not know that activates and can not be stopped. (McAfee Management Service Host).

The explain they give me is that the pc has little free space and for them that is the problem. But, MMSSHOST.EXE is activated only and consumes all CPU resources, they do not know what activates it and they do not know how to stop it, and they do not know where this service is managed.

It´s too much drama, but I recommend that you uninstall and install another antivirus product.

Had the same thing today. I uninstalled mcafee from windows settings which was acknowledged with a "Sorry to see you go" from mcafee but noticed on the task manager that there were numerous mcafee files still there including mcafee management service host clocking 99%. I restarted the computer and had a long tedious boot up of 1 hour. I went to the task manager fully expecting to see the management service host still clocking 99% but it was working at normal speed.  I checked all programmes and everything was back to normal and working perfectly. I went to Windows Defender to give me protection but it said I was already being protected by mcafee!!! and  I had to uninstall it before Defender would work or switch on mcafee. I stared at that mcafee switch on button for a couple of coffees before holding my breath and switching on.  Everything is working fine including mcafee. Can't understand what happened to cure the problem and it seems mcafee wasn't uninstalled but merely switched off!  This has taken 6 hours to resolve. What a waste of time. I think the problem followed a Mcafee update.

I experienced exactly the same problem. Re-installed once and things were fine for one day, then the problem returned... Uninstalled McAfee and will not re-install it unless the problem got fixed in general. The computer is painfully slow with this problem and even uninstalling takes ages... Switched to free-AVAST as an intermediate solution. Have the fee paid for McAfee for another 11 months, so I expect them to come up with a solution asap.

Moderator ymdfarhan
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 35

Hello pluto1902

Our customers have confirmed that they do not see this issue in the latest version of McAfee. Please reinstall McAfee and check if you still see this issue.

Regards
Farhan

cheuser
Level 7
Message 6 of 35

So even though I checked and everything is up to date, the usage that keeps jumping between 70 and 80% is not really happening?  Are you saying that this is actually not happening on my computer? 

Indeed. This is happening to my system as well. I can barely do anything.
Dunder
Level 7
Message 8 of 35

McAfee taking too much CPU, slowing, stalling, buzzing videos and slowing computer. Since I unistalled McAfee and replaced it with Windows Defender, all slowness issues fixed.

Blogbe
Level 7
Message 9 of 35

WRONG! I have tried reinstalling but same problems. Will not try again. I have deinstalled.

Ravi1
Level 8
Message 10 of 35

I have latest veriosn and still same issue.