I have a new laptop with McAfee Livesafe pre-installed. I am using Thunderbird as my email client which is also a new product to me.
McAfee blocked some addins when I tried to install them - it seems to be the installation script that is being blocked rather than the add-ins themselves. I managed to manually find the update files and manually install them successfully but the same error has reappeared -presumably one of my add-ins has been updated. I suspect that it is the Thunderbird add-in script that is being blocked as previously I had the identical errors for each of the add-ins I installed.
McAfee does not make it easy for a new user of this the AV product (but an expert PC user for very many years using many other AV products at home and professionally) to extract the information to determine whether it is a false positive or a genuine problem. I have attached a screenshot of the report available to me.
Can anyone help me to get to the bottom of this problem and help me to find whether this is a false report or a genuine threat. I need to use the Thunderbird add-ins.
I know in principle how to exclude files.
The problem is that I THINK the file in question is a transient file that is rather like a bootstrap - I think it is downloaded and then runs to download the real installer and then discarded. I therefore have difficulty identifying the actual file causing the problem and hence providing it to you to determine whether it is a false positive.
I am using a new (to me) Thunderbird email package with a number of Add-ins and it these add-ins that are causing the installation problem. I have no easy way of knowing what file to allow.
My current instinct is to cut my losses and discard McAfee and revert to using my previous AV product which at least I am fully familiar with.
I have another new computer being delivered today which also has McAfee AV pre-installed and I will see what happens when I install Thunderbird on there. This time it is only a 30 day license so I have no issues with removing McAfee. I have a 1 year license on my own computer.
It happens on ALL add-ons I have tried. Specifically: TBSync, Provider for Exchange Active Sync, ImportExport Tools
It did NOT happen initially with Category Manager but there is a serious bug preventing me from using it and it did not work so I needed to try the previous version. That version hit the same problem,.
The message is always the same. Susp Attachmentscript.a. I have seen a temporary file with a random name .xpi listed which I am guessing is part of the installation process.
Since posting this problem I have hit the identical problem on another new laptop from Dell preinstalled with the same McAfee AV product.
If I can find the .xpi file and install this manually the addin works. In one case this was not available on any web site so I installed Thunderbird in a Windows 10 VM, installed the Add-in and was able to find the .xpi file, copy it to the real computer and manually install it.
I think one of the add-ins is currently trying to auto update and failing as I have seen another similar report.
My current instinct, now I have experienced such a problem with no explanation or apparently no means of investigation, is to abandon my 12 month subscription to McAfee (that came with both of the new laptops) and go back to my previous reliable AV product. I like Thunderbird (having been a user of LiveMail for many years) and I therefore need an AV solution that enables me to continue to use it without these issues.
Incidentally I am an experienced IT system architect (recently retired having started in IT in 1963) with a recent background in network security architecture (20 years) so I am prepared to make my own risk assessment on AV products. I am just trying to find out if there really is a significant security issue with Thunderbird Add-ins (which I suspect is unlikely) or an issue with McAfee that make McAfee unusable.
After many fruitless HOURS using chat/telephone and receiving "support" from a McAfee person who I allowed to connect to my computer I have decided that I will have to uninstall McAfee and go to a product that works. The chats and calls have wasted a total of at least 4 hours (and probably a lot more trying to understand what was happening and finding a temporary workaround) and I am no nearer a solution.
While remotely connected I demonstrated the issue by attempting to reinstall an add-in that fails. He used my email client to compose a message to report the file(s) as a probable false positive. He zipped the files and attached them to the email. The email WAS REJECTED by the AV analysis team as the zip file was not encrypted. Ine would have expected McAfee support to know how to do this!
I tried again and spent a considerable time chatting to an agent on another day. The issue is that the file being quarantined is a disposable installation file and this breaks the Thunderbird add-in install. Releasing the file from quarantine obviously will not help to complete the install.
I asked to speak to a McAfee manager and a telephone all was scheduled for yesterday. No call arrived!
I have now had enough - How do I uninstall McAfee Livesafe on both of my new Dell laptops.
I have placed a warning on the Thunderbird forum warning users that McAfee and Thunderbird add-ins appear to be incompatible and that McAfee support have no answer!.
I would recall them and re-ask for an escalation call back. Sometimes managers and support staff are held up on preceding calls I have experienced this myself in my time as a volunteer here.
I have not had any TB and McAfee issues though I do not use add ons.
I would give the tier 2.5 tech who was to call another chance.
@Magesh Can you assist please
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. We have sent a private message due to the nature of the issue. Please respond with the details to help you resolve your query.