cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee LiveSafe slows down my computer

Forgive me if I am double-posting; it seems my first one didn't go through as i didn't have an account. Anyway, I have the latest version of McAfee LiveSafe and am running a Windows 10 PC with an Intell i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz. I renewed my LiveSafe about a month ago, so I've had it for a year. I have had no problems until just this Saturday (11/23/19). Now, McAfee seems to randomy start bogging down my computer by taking up unusually high amounts of CPU. The attached screenshot shows one example as seen in the Task Manager on Windows 10. The CPU has gone all the way up to 100% many times, though it did not in this screenshot. However, the conditions shown in the screenshot produced significant audio lag. Again, this has never happened before this weekend. Therefore, my question is:

1. Why is this happening?

2. How can it be fixed?

2 Replies
Madhan Community Manager
Community Manager
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee LiveSafe slows down my computer

Hello @EvanWilson 

Please reinstall McAfee and check if it fixes the issue.

Follow this McAfee Article  to uninstall McAfee.

Please follow this McAfee Article to reinstall McAfee

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Re: McAfee LiveSafe slows down my computer

I am not seeing this. Did you just get an update to a new version number?

Mine is 16.0.r22 with security center 18.2.154 what is yours and your affid number

This in the past has been caused by either a corrupt install or a bug in an update.

Normally support initially suggests to fully uninstall McAfee using both windows and the MCPR removal program with reboots after each and to then reinstall.

How to remove McAfee

Preinstall Tool

That said it this does not help support needs to know so they can investigate

Call McAfee support

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community