cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehorne
Level 10

LiveSafe doesn't always appear in 'System Tray' (Windows 8.1)

I think the title explains this.  LiveSafe doesn't always show up on the Task Bar on my Desktop.  It is also not in the Hidden Icons box. I'll click on it in the Windows 8.1 Apps area and then it will show up on the task bar.

This behavior only recently started.  I will also be off line for while starting tomorrow, so if I don't respond quickly, that's the reason.

Thanks in advance, Dave

0 Kudos
19 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: LiveSafe doesn't always appear in 'System Tray' (Windows 8.1)

Strange, it should do.  Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

Ex_Brit, it's been a while since we've spoken.  You're always here, I trust you help yourself occasionally to petty cash.

I ran the Virtual Technician and it found nothing wrong.   I've been having serious issues with Windows Updates and perhaps there's a connection there, I don't know.
I won't be back unless I have more issues.

Thanks again, Dave

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

If I may add to the discussion. You mentioned Windows Updates, you might try running under 'Command Propmpt' sfc /scannow to check the integrity of your updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good suggestion CD, there's a Tutorial here:  SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

0 Kudos
davehorne
Level 10

catdaddy, I've run sfc and found errors.

I do have another question.

I see that I have I have Security Scan Plus (New) in my Windows 8.1 Apps area.  Since I saw (New), I'll assume it was somehow installed and I've never used it ...?

At any rate, do I need Security Scan Plus if I already have McAfee LiveSafe already installed?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: LiveSafe doesn't always appear in 'System Tray'   (Windows 8.1)

No uninstall it in the usual manner, it's an advertising tool and may be the cause of this.   So9rry CD if I preempted you....LOL

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

LOL....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

By no means. It is basically only a Sales/Marketing tool. Quite often installed as an 'Optional Offer' along with Adobe Products, You can safely uninstall it through your Add/Remove, as it has no protection values at all.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
ispalten
Level 9

Just saw this... happened to me too on Win8.1, icon in Systray disappeared! It happened after an UPDATE of LS a few weeks ago.

Did a Chat and the tech did a re-install and a delete of the old version first. I had come back, but not like before? It doesn't always appear on the SYSTRAY immediately, sometimes it will clearly after the PC has completed the boot process and then pops into the Systray.

When the icon was NOT showing though the Action Center did indicate LS was running.

Now that LS has been re-installed I am having some 'browsing' problems and also failing to install W10 for a variety of errors. So I just so happened to look at the Security log:

m1.JPG

Are you kidding me?

Sample of those blocked:

m2.JPG

m3.JPG

Those are my ISP, McAfee, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

What goes?

0 Kudos