cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

LiveSafe didn't catch malware

Jump to solution

Had 2 programs installed on my computer that were malware since July 2019 that LiveSafe didn't catch through regular scanning and scheduled full scans.

One called Browser Assistant and one called Direct Game UNI Installer.

These were causing my search bar to redirect to yahoo (search.yahoo) and also caused my browser to close and reopen everytime I used it. I couldn't figure it out all this time because LiveSafe wasn't picking up on them.

Deleted them and no further issues. Just worried about what kind of information it could have picked up in that timeframe.

Was trying to find somewhere online to report it but couldn't find anything.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: LiveSafe didn't catch malware

Jump to solution

Hello @kmestripez 

We are sorry that McAfee Livesafe wasn't detecting those two Add-Ons you mentioned.

McAfee Livesafe will scan all sorts of files, programs and folders on the computer. McAfee WebAdvisor is a free program from McAfee that scans files you download from the browser and also helps you to surf the web safely. For more info and to install McAfee WebAdvisor, please access the link below,

How to download and install McAfee WebAdvisor

McAfee doesn't have a feature to scan the extensions or add-ons  on a browser. Some add ons will get added automatically when you click on a link, image online unknowingly 

We kindly request you to go through the Extensions and Add Ons frequently, just to ensure there are no unwanted add ons on the browser. 

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Try updating mcafee and check. You may also try reinstalling mcafee. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I tried the test they suggested online and it seems to be okay. Not sure how these slipped through. I may try reinstalling just in case.

Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello @kmestripez 

We are sorry that McAfee Livesafe wasn't detecting those two Add-Ons you mentioned.

McAfee Livesafe will scan all sorts of files, programs and folders on the computer. McAfee WebAdvisor is a free program from McAfee that scans files you download from the browser and also helps you to surf the web safely. For more info and to install McAfee WebAdvisor, please access the link below,

How to download and install McAfee WebAdvisor

McAfee doesn't have a feature to scan the extensions or add-ons  on a browser. Some add ons will get added automatically when you click on a link, image online unknowingly 

We kindly request you to go through the Extensions and Add Ons frequently, just to ensure there are no unwanted add ons on the browser. 

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

These were actual programs I found in the control panel. The browser add-ons were actually normal which is why it took so long for me to discover.

That is good information to have though, so thank you!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community