cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

Firewall UI completely confusing; can't even tell if its on or off??

I have to describe myself as "Completely Confused" by this entire control panel.  That may sound vague, but details are explained step by step.

When i launch (from the system tray), i get the following.  Both the "Create Password" and "Dismiss" buttons are dead.  So, clicking on them does nothing. The mouse changes to a hand pointer, but clicking does nothing.

Do note that  dimmed in the middle, if you look closely, you can see that Firewall Protection is  "on".

McAff1.JPG

So, i clicked on View firewall and anti-spam settings.  The following comes up.

McAff2.JPG

This also seems to suggest that the Firewall is "on".

So, next i clicked on the word "Firewall".  The following comes up.

==>> Now it seems to be suggesting that the Firewall is OFF!  And, it offers for me to turn it on!!!  (WHAT'S UP?).

McAff3.JPG

At this point if i click on any of those items, like "Traffic controller", "Internet Connections for Programs", etc, they all contain only grayed out material.

I guess i would have to say that i am "TOTALLY CONFUSED".

Can anybody shed light on this, sort it out?

• How do i get rid of the "Password" dialog?
  • Is my Firewall actually on or off?
  • How can I browse or change details for "Internet Connections for Programs"?

Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community