cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are Being Deleted

I have a file that is being deleted by McAffee LiveSafe. The file... (winkawaks165.zip) is for all I know a safe zip file and it shouldn't be deleted in the first place. This file is on an external hard drive. I also placed it on my computer hard drive with the same results.

This is a two part question....

1. Is there anyway to stop McAfee Live Safe from scanning external drives?
  2. Is there a way to stop McAfee from deleting the file it's self. I did the Real Time Scan Exception but it still get's deleted.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

McAfee Livesafe 

2 Replies
ated19
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Files are Being Deleted

The McAfee Security Suite for Windows and Internet Security for macOS include a program called VirusScan that scans and protects your computer. When a file or program is scanned, VirusScan compares it to known threats and can delete or quarantine the file, if it appears to contain a virus or other type of threat.

Quarantined items are stored in a secure location on your computer and blocked from being used.

VirusScan also uses heuristic scanning to detect unusual behavior. Files identified by the heuristic scanner as being risky, might also be quarantined.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Files are Being Deleted

1 Is this say a full or scheduled scan that deletes the file? Exclusions only at present so I have been told work for the real time scanner ie when you access the file. If you want the file whitelisted though unsure if they can do zips submit the file as per

How to submit virus samples and false positives to McAfee

2 Re scanning external drives the option used to be there but I thought this was dropped a while back. Maybe till you try to whitelist the file turn off the drive power for the time the scan happens. Ok rough fix . I will however ask someone who might know more.

Update

He says external drives only scanned by custom scans ie right click option. If scheduled scan is doing scans of them well we need to look deeper.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community