cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

E-mail trojan. Is it a scam?

Jump to solution

I received and e-mail this morning regarding a Trojan being installed on my system.  I have never had such a message before and am wondering if I need to be worried or if it is a scam?

The message partially contained the following:

"Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you.
Several months ago, I got access to the device you are using to browse the internet.
Since that time, I have been monitoring your internet activity.
I've uploaded a Trojan horse on the driver basis that updates its signature several times per day, to make it impossible for antivirus to detect it. Additionally, it gives me access to your camera and microphone.
Moreover, I have backed-up all the data, including photos, social media, chats and contacts.

You have 48 hours to reply and you should also bear the following in mind:

It makes no sense to reply me - the address has been generated automatically.
It makes no sense to complain either, since the letter along with my Bitcoin wallet cannot be tracked.
Everything has been orchestrated precisely.

If I ever detect that you mentioned anything about this letter to anyone - the video will be immediately shared, and your contacts will be the first to receive it. Following that, the video will be posted on the web!

P.S. The time will start once you open this letter. (This program has a built-in timer)."

The individual has is asking for a deposit to a Bitcoin wallet or he will upload a compromising video to all on my contacts list.  No such video could exist unless a fake.

Is it possible for this to be done without detection by LiveSafe?  If so, what are my options?

I have ran a full scan and nothing is being detected.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Keith

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: E-mail trojan. Is it a scam?

Jump to solution

Hi @SibeDad 

This email might be a scam. Apart from this email, Have you noticed any unusual activities in your PC. Are you getting any browser alerts or scam popups. Please check in control panel whether any unrelated application is installed with out your knowledge and let us know. 

Regards

Magesh J

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SibeDad 

Great. Please feel free to contact us through Community or Support for any assistance with McAfee in future.

Regards

Magesh J

5 Replies
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SibeDad 

This email might be a scam. Apart from this email, Have you noticed any unusual activities in your PC. Are you getting any browser alerts or scam popups. Please check in control panel whether any unrelated application is installed with out your knowledge and let us know. 

Regards

Magesh J

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply.

No I have not noticed anything unusual.  Just checked my Applications and nothing installed without my knowledge is listed.  Thanks for that suggestion.

Keith

Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SibeDad 

Great. Please feel free to contact us through Community or Support for any assistance with McAfee in future.

Regards

Magesh J

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I got 1 as well 4 mths back considering I run several scanners as well as Mcafee I assumed it was a fake as it said "i accessed your webcam and saw what you were doing...something not nice " He asked for bitcoin payment. Oh I have no webcam so all a fake.

If you worried still support can do a scan or you can also run some of the free scanners.

Antispyware tools

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community