cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhigham
Level 7

Can't Update

My new computer came preinstalled with McAfee Live Safe Internet Security.  Now it cannot update, though it successfully checks for updates and begins to download updates, but then switches to a red banner and tells me it cannot update my software and please check my internet connection.  Also, I have noticed in the programs list, Norton is listed and I never added Norton.  Additionally, I am getting redirected in my browser often and curious pop ups come up from time to time.  Does this scenario suggest a particular fix?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Can't Update

download and run Stinger - it sounds like you have some malware. Stinger | McAfee Free Tools

0 Kudos
bhigham
Level 7

I can't.  it tells me it is not a valid Win 32 application after downloading the setup file as soon as I try to run the downloaded file I get that message

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

nasty - download it on another PC and try to run it from a USB stick. If that still fails, reboot your computer and try running it from Safe mode.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Moved to Livesafe > Discussions - By Moderator

Could it be that you inadvertently Downloaded/Installed an Optional Offer while installing Programs such as Adobe Flash Player/Reader? Quite often that can occur. You should be capable of removing it from your Control Panel/Programs/Features/Restart.

You may wish to run the Latest ( MVT) http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/downloadindex.html and see if it finds any issues. Also please make certain you are up to date with all of your Windows Updates. To include Internet Exlplorer, even if you do not use it. McAfee and other programs do and require so.

Also It could be as Safeboot suggested, you could have picked up some Potentially Unwanted Programs. Try running McAfee Stinger as he suggested, and some of the other Superb Free tools in this link:

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

After assuring yourself that you have no other Security Software onboard, and Malware present. You have the option also to contact Technical Support (Free) Via Phone/Chat much quicker:Services and Support for Home and Office

Or if the need arises,you can do a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall by following the guidelines/Instructions Here:How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

bhigham wrote:

My new computer came preinstalled with McAfee Live Safe Internet Security.  Now it cannot update, though it successfully checks for updates and begins to download updates, but then switches to a red banner and tells me it cannot update my software and please check my internet connection.  Also, I have noticed in the programs list, Norton is listed and I never added Norton.  Additionally, I am getting redirected in my browser often and curious pop ups come up from time to time.  Does this scenario suggest a particular fix?

First of all is your comnputer totally up to date, including, even if you don't use it, the latest version of Internet Explorer?   You don't have to have IE set as a default browser but you should know that McAfee uses it.

More importantly you must uninstall Norton via Control Panel > Programs and Features, otherwise McAfee wont function correctly.

Then run the Norton removal tool and then reboot.

Then run the McAfee Virtual Technician to see if that finds and fixes any issues and hopefully your software should work as it should.

If it doesn't Technical Support is available free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

The reason I did not insert the Norton Removal Tool, is I assumed the OP had simply inadvertently installed a similar Program by Norton, such as McAfee Security Scan Plus. Which does not require the Removal Tool.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Granted and I wasn't reacting to anything but his original post.   No harm in running it anyway.

0 Kudos
mail2abin
Level 7

First go to Add/Remove program and uninstall Norton

> disable all addons fron your browser

> go to Run -> type (with out Quates )  "inetcpl.cpl " -> click ok

> go to Advance -> select Reset -> reset -> ok

> restart the computer

> Run MVT

> mvt.mcafee.com

>  try to upadte your mcafee