cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to allow RFC 2298 compliant out-of-office responses

Some of our external business partners have enabled "out-of-office" responses but those responses are dropped by our Ironmail server.

I understand that these are considered RFC-2298 Message Disposition Notifications.  As such, they have no "from" address.

20111128:16:11:21|5821359|9988|Sending domain not available, From address is: -||

What is the "best" way to allow these responses to not be dropped?  For this one sender I have whitelisted the IP addresses.   I to find a more generic way to allow these compliant messages to not become dropped by Ironmail.

Background reading (geared towards Exchange but still relevant):

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/automati...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ajclements
Level 11

Re: Best way to allow RFC 2298 compliant out-of-office responses

What is dropping the messages?  If they are scoring too may points in ESP you could try whitelisting by IP address, or we could try to tweak some of the spam settings to the messages are more trusted.  I see from your log line that they are being accepted onto the system, which means it is not a TrustedSource issue (at least exclusively).

0 Kudos

Well, I am having trouble finding the log lines because of the CLI bug that I mentioned in the other thread.

I will try to capture the information and post it here.

The one line I posted above, is from the message that came in, after I whitelisted the 3 IP addresses of the sender.  I do not want to leave this in place and don't want to do this for other senders.

0 Kudos

Follow-up question:

According to the sender's support team, per the RFC thesender is "blank" (empty).

This of course puts the mail into Exchange with "no sender" which looks quite strange.  Our internal recipient receives an out-of-office message, but doesn't know who it is from!

According to the sender's email support rep, the sender's email address is in the message itself, not in the envelope:

"....the envelope sender address isnull (<>) on these messages, but in the ‘data’ portion of the message,the From: info is populated."

He claims this is per the standard, and works correctly when sent to other systems such as gmail.

0111207:16:29:06|7056783|9988|Sendingdomain not available, From address is: -||

20111207:16:29:06|7056783|9989|Messagedata -|{'USRTO': ['realdridge@babcock.com'], 'USRFRM': [], 'DOMTO':['babcock.com'], 'SUBJ': 'automatic reply: test of mailbox', 'DOMFRM': []}|

20111207:16:29:06|7056783|9990|User- GroupID info -|{'realdridge@babcock.com': [9L, 19L, 26L, 16L, 1],'babcock.com': [9L, 1]}|

20111207:16:29:06|7056783|9991|GroupID - Name -|{16L: 'bwes.barb.ironmail.euq.allow.dg', 9L: 'babcock', 26L:'bwes.barb.ironmail.testgroup.dg', 19L:'bwes.barb.ironmail.bw-disclaimer-babcock.dg', 1: 'global'}|

Any suggestions for how to make the sender's address display, once Ironmail receives the message?

0 Kudos

Still having difficulties, if you have any suggestions.

The out-of-office responses are coming through, but there is no "from" address.

So our internal recipient doesn't know "who" sent the out-of-office response.

0 Kudos

Hello,

can you give an email address which is sending such an out-of-office response?

I did not see problems like this till now on the systems we are running.

I would like to test if the behavior of my systems is the same.

The system at my side is MEG 6.72. HF5 / Exchange 2003.

Best regards.

on 10.01.12 15:08:26 MEZ
0 Kudos
ajclements
Level 11

It is probably a known issue with HF6, and I think it is supposed to be fixed in HF7.  Give support a call, they can verify it and escalate it to development.

0 Kudos

Submitted case # 3-1937109961.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Can you think of a way to workaround this issue?

Is there some way that IronMail could rewrite the message so that it includes the "from" address?

I did receive a response from support that this is a known bug to be addressed in HF7.

Robert

0 Kudos
ajclements
Level 11

Unfortunatley there is no work around.  We have an agent that works on SWD notifications only, and even that has to wait for the message to fail delivery before it takes effect.

0 Kudos