cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worm123
Level 7

command line interface for disabling HIPS 8.0.0 Firewall ?

I have Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0 installed using Win 7 64-bit.

I have Parasoft c++test (a unit test IDE which is a Eclipse-based tool) trying  to connect to its license server to obtain license.

But HIP is preventing the client (C++test) reaching its license server.

I have to open Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0, then under Task/Unlock User Interface I will have to type in the password. After that, under the Firewall Policy tab, I need to uncheck the Enabled button, then the connection between c++test and the license server is sucessful and it can obtain the license.

I have a couple of questions,

1. Instead of using the HIPS, can I use any command on the command line (DOS window) to disable the firewall? I want to write a batch file to disable the firewall as well as opening the Parasoft c++test client, without opening the HIPS gui to do those chores.

2. How could I tackle the issue that HIPS is blocking the c++test connecting to its server?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: command line interface for disabling HIPS 8.0.0 Firewall ?

1. Use the ClientControl.exe utility (/stop).  This will disable HIPS entirely, not just the Firewall.

PD23014 - Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 ClientControl.exe Utility Readme

2. See: KB67055 – How to troubleshoot a network facing application, or traffic is blocked by Host Intrusion Prevention firewall

0 Kudos
worm123
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that on the command line before but it didn't work.

Under the McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention App's IPS Policy tab, I also tried to  uncheck both options,  "Enable Host IPS" and the "Enable Network IPS" , but that didn't work either.

I had to go to the Firewall Policy tab to uncheck the "Enabled" button to make c++test client to be able to connect to the license server.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that on the command line before but it didn't work.

If you are running Windows Vista or higher, and have Windows UAC enabled (it is by default), that you open an Administrative Command prompt windows with the Run as administrator option; then run the ClientControl.exe tool.

0 Kudos