cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Re: WLAN does not work after HIPS rollout

Hi Chris,

no there is no solution at the moment. My partner could not help me with that issue and now I'm waiting for an answer from McAffee. I will contact you if I got a solution.

I get the same behaviour if I connect an Ehternet cable.

Please open a ticket as well. Maybe we can raise the priority. I thenk they are waiting until every company has upgraded to WIN7 😞

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Michael Seiler

We discovered that uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless driver (Broadcom in this case) resolved the problem. Upgrading the driver had no effect. But, we also discovered that a subsequent uninstallation and reinstallation of McAfee HIPS will result in the original problem, preventing the WLAN card from connecting. I have a case open with McAfee and will be shipping them a PC to troubleshoot the problem further. They were unable to recreate the problem in their lab.

djpenn
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 20

I have multiple users with the same issue. Multiple Wi-Fi adapters (Dell Lattitudes E6400, E4300, E4310, E6410, E6420, E6220) but all so far are on Windows XP. This occurred only after a HIPS 7 to 8 upgrade. Our rulesets are wide open; for some people removing and re-adding the adapter seems to work. For others that only works for ~15 minutes. We're gathering more information now.

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 20

• Please make sure you are running HIPS 8.0 Patch 2 (build 8.0.0.2151).  This build has resolved some known issues with Wireless connectivity.
  • Also, please uninstall Microsoft QoS, if you are not using the service, and see if the issue continues.
djpenn
Level 7
Message 15 of 20

Thanks Kary... I'm applying patch 2 to the affected machines now.

djpenn
Level 7
Message 16 of 20

By way of following up, HIPS 8 patch 2 solved virtually all of our Wi-Fi issues with Latitude E-series laptops from Dell. No need to touch QoS, even. On a completely unrelated and somewhat strange note, the only other thing about our 10,000+ client upgrade from HIPS 7 to 8p1 and 8p2 is that a few people (<100) with Win XP have their laptops take 20-40 minutes to boot now -- but only if it's in their docking stations. Taking it out of their docking station results in a 4-5 min boot time. Suspects include Symantec Endpoint Encryption (versions 7.04, 7.05 and maybe 7.08) in conjunction with HIPS 8 regardless of patch level.

Hi Michael,

here a Workaround to solve your issue. Change the configuration of the rule "Allow 802.1x Authentication" like this

3006.jpg

Don't ask why, but on my Windows XP this solved the issue.

Kind Regards

Hi Nathan,

thank you for your help. But I already tried your workaround and it did not solve my issue.

Now I got feedback from mcafee and they told me to use the  Adaptive" or "Learn" mode and to activate

"Allow traffic for unsupported protocols".

Now there are new rules with netbios (port 137 and 138) which are added by the adaptive mode. This solves the issue and the wlan is working properly.

BUT:

I created an allow all rule for testing purpose. Nothing happend.

How can a rule solve the issue if there is a rule on topwhich allows all traffic? This does not make any sense!!?!?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

have you changed the log settings to debug logging for the firewall-log. Are there any information about blocked traffic in the debug log?

Have you recognized that i changed the rule to custom specify ether type.

Regards

Michael

Michael,

Our wireless performance improved after disabling the Startup Protection,  "Allow only outgoing traffic until the Host IPS service has started" in the Firewall Options policy. We still occasionally have issues with Bootp and EAPOL communications, which prevents the wireless connection. But, it's intermittent and a reboot or manual "Enforce Policies" usually fixes it.

Good luck,

Chris

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community