Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greatscott
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 18

Re: WAN Miniport (IP) - McAfee NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport

Yes, this was my next suggestion, open a ticket with McAfee.

Can you try something else for us in your environment, try running a noisy port scan against one of your broken systems. See if you generate any 3700 or 3701 events. We are finding that with HIPS 8 installed with latest patching, (minus this hotfix), that we are unable to get systems to generate Network Intrusion Prevention Events. Make sure the port scanning system IP is not listed in your trusted networks policy.

greatscott
Level 12
Message 12 of 18

have you had any follow up on this?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 18

Anyone?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 18

NDIS or network driver intermediate specification is windows specification that tells how communication should take place between protocols such as tcp/ip and device drivers.

HIPS NDIS inserts itself between protocol and minipport.It filter traffic at transport and network layers of OSI model.Firecore is basic service of HIPS and 90% implemented in firek.sys driver.

on 4/16/13 2:18:33 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 18

One twist on this solution is that you may need to uninstall all of the network adapters, not just the McAfee ones.  My system quickly re-installed them and removed the references to the McAfee devices. 

-Joe

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 18

I just noticed this started happening as well on my work laptop.  The only recent thing I did was installed the SiteAdvisor application for IE and Firefox.  Maybe there is a conflict in the work version and SiteAdvisor that was installed.  ????

greatscott
Level 12
Message 17 of 18

Have there been any status updates on getting this remediated via a patch?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 18 of 18

I know this is a somewhat "old" thread and that I'm arriving more than a little late to the party, but I thought I'd offer my input since I also experienced similar issues with the McAfee NDIS Core Intermediate Filter Driver issues showing up in my Device Manager (Win Xp, SP3, IE 😎 and have since found a solution.

I found the solution to my problem in another thread here within the forums () that discusses the same issue. My problem, specifically, was that there were TWO entries under "Network Adapters" for the McAfee NDIS Core Intermediate Driver Filter - both of which had exclamation points superimposed over their respective icons next to each entry. I could not uninstall them as when I tried to do so I'd get a message saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the uninstall was not successful because the driver file was either either missing or corrupt.

In the above-referenced thread, Ex_Brit offered the suggestion to use McAfee's MCPR clean up tool (found here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe) which worked like a charm for me. After running the tool and rebooting, the entries were thankfully gone.

Anyway - just wanted to share my experience with this issue and, more importantly, the solution that I found that worked for me. Thanks especially to Ex_Brit for the suggestion.

Best,

Mark (MDR)

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community