cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zain
Level 7

Using hips to block P2P traffic

Hi.

I would like to use HIPS to try and block p2p traffic on on network. Does anyone have any advice, templates or rules that they have used to block this on their network?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12

Re: Using hips to block P2P traffic

Hi zain,

I've moved your thread to the HIPs community. Hopefully someone can help you soon!

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Some advice:

• You could use Firewall rules to block known P2P ports (the random port usage will be a harder to write rules for though).
  • You could use Firewall rules to deny all traffic for a P2P application (example: deny all inbound/outbound traffic for P2PAPPLICATION.EXE).
  • You could use the Application Blocking module to prevent a P2P application from running (create a rule to deny P2PAPPLICATION.EXE, and allow *).

on 3/3/10 11:40:10 AM CST
0 Kudos
zain
Level 7

HI. Thanks for the advice. It seems then that there so no way for hips to identify packets or processes associated with p2p behaviour and therefore can only really be blocked on an application level. This seems to be a bit messy as there are so many applications for torrenting and DC++.Are there any feature in HIPS or any other Mcafee software that could Identify p2p like behaviour and blocked it based on that?

0 Kudos
mpatino
Level 7

You can do something at your proxy/firewall/ips level. you can get a list of p2p hosts on internet.

0 Kudos
zain
Level 7

I have too look at applying whichever settings I have on a software/OS level. The environment is a university with around 10k-15k users. Our wired networks are layer 2 but wireless is layer 3 and we have blocked P2P on this level on the wireless. I will see if can find a list of p2p software which can be blocked and work from there. Perhaps the community here can contribute to improve all out environments.Build the list with software name and md5 key should be sufficient I think

0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

Please file a Product Improvement FMR on the McAfee Service Portal Site.

0 Kudos
zain
Level 7

I will be donig this. Thanks

0 Kudos