cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to save HIPS DNS policy

Jump to solution

When trying to add a domain and save the HIPS DNS Blocking policy, we get a prompt that says "10.x.x.x says Unable to save policy". We were able to save just fine yesterday. We tried duplicating the policy but get the same error.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unable to save HIPS DNS policy

Jump to solution

Hi @rbenson09,

Thank you for your post. Usually these errors are backed by more information present in the orion.log present in c:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Logs. by default.

I have a KBA for your to look into in case you have not already seen them. Please let me know if this is of any use here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90983&locale=en_US

I sincerely hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hi @rbenson09,

Thank you for your post. Usually these errors are backed by more information present in the orion.log present in c:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Logs. by default.

I have a KBA for your to look into in case you have not already seen them. Please let me know if this is of any use here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90983&locale=en_US

I sincerely hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

Hello @rbenson09 ,

When migrating Host IPS 7.0 policies to Host IPS 8.0, the ePO server might display the following error:

Unable to Save Policy

Cause
This error occurs with any Host IPS 7.0 policies that exceed a total of 2 MB in size.

The entire policy is sent as JSON data between the browser and the ePO server during the policy migration operation. The ePO server Tomcat service is configured to limit POST data to a maximum of 2 MB.

This can be found in : 
Unable to Save Policy (when migrating Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0 policies to 8.0 in ePolicy Orchestrator)
Technical Articles ID: KB77154

Also another reason for the policy not getting saved is due to collation mismatch.

ePO 5.x supports all Microsoft SQL Server collations using the following two SQL collation properties:
Case Insensitivity (CI)
Full ASCII character set support - This set is included in all Unicode-based character sets.
If your SQL Server uses SQL collation that meets the above criteria, it is supported.

NOTES:
The SQL collation of the SQL Server must match the collation of the ePO database.
ePO is primarily tested with SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, which is the default for English United States. Test striping is performed against some of the default SQL collations for non-English languages.

You will find this in : KB73717.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community