Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aoc
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Target Device Reports As Source

Jump to solution

In Splunk the McAfee logging is showing that a few of the IDS alerts the web server we're protecting is the source of some of the attacks. The server that was the destination of the attack by the malicious IP is now the source. The malicious IP is the destination of alert. How can this happen?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee MarkCMc
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Re: Target Device Reports As Source

Jump to solution

I suppose it could be either. Network IPS however is a totally different product than Host IPS and questions should be posted here: https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Network-Security-Platform-NSP/bd-p/network-security-platform

Sorry I don't support NSP products or I would give a better answer than just a post redirection.  🙂

4 Replies
McAfee Employee MarkCMc
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Are you talking about Host IPS or the Network Security Platform (NSP) IPS? Either way I'm not sure we have any control over how Splunk displays the events.

Highlighted
Aoc
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Network IPS. Just to clarify and get on the same page, Splunk is just displaying the attributes in the logged event. It's not changing the event information, essentially. Of course the issue can be all the different logging formats out there make it difficult. In the logs from the IPS, pulled and displayed by Splunk, some attributes are listed as Unknown or Inconclusive. Is this what you mean about not controlling how Splunk displays?; (two ways to interpret that.) 
       It could be possible that Splunk mixed up the source and destination for an event. That's what I'm looking to determine. Or if there's compromise in some way where the server calls out...but with an attack signature? Looked strange so came to get feedback. 

McAfee Employee MarkCMc
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

I suppose it could be either. Network IPS however is a totally different product than Host IPS and questions should be posted here: https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Network-Security-Platform-NSP/bd-p/network-security-platform

Sorry I don't support NSP products or I would give a better answer than just a post redirection.  🙂

Aoc
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator